LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Sunday

Default Auction company has put my tenancy agreement on their website

Hi all,,My landlord is selling the house I rent at auction.

On the auction companies website they have made the tenancy agreement available for download. This includes me and my partners full name, telephone number, previous address and signatures. Our guarantors details are also on the form.

As I work in the local area doing a job that involves dealing with landlords I don't really want all the local landlords having my personal details.

Is it unreasonable that I ask that it is removed or at least edited?

North of 'up north' but south of the border

Interesting point. There's been a DPA discussion already today.
    In this case, the tenancy details have absolutely no right to be online. The terms of the agreement, yes, but your details, and absolute no.
    Get hold of the administrators and have them remove it immediately. You can also contact the Data Protection folk https://www.ico.gov.uk/Global/contact_us.aspx for advice and enforcement.
    Anyone buying a property with a view to letting would only need to know that you have an agreemant and how much return they can expect for the investment. Sloppy work by the agent.
    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

All sorted. Quick phonecall and it's been replaced with a tippexed version. I was a bit jumpy as earlier in the year a letting agent I used to rent from gave my address and phone number to a landlord who I dealt with at work and he turned up on my doorstep and was pretty unpleasant to my wife. thanks for the quick reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Wookie View Post
    Anyone buying a property with a view to letting would only need to know that you have an agreemant and how much return they can expect for the investment.
    Not quite true, it is usually recommended that the buyer ask to see a copy of the existing agreement and proof of payment of rent, rather than just taking someone's word for it that there is an agreement and what the property will rent for!

If LL buys with tenant in situ, they inherit all the terms and conditions of the agreement and cannot change anything unless tenant agrees. Therefore, the buyer needs sight of the existing agreement to ensure they can comply with it - similarly, never take anyone's word for it that tenant is a good payer! However, in light of the other DP thread here, I wonder whether even that is breaching tenant's privacy.

OP, get hold of the auction house today, and request immediate removal of the agreement. If they wish to display the agreement at all, every personal reference to you and your guarantor MUST be deleted, and only the terms of the let and start/end dates need be shown. Ask to see the edited verion before they put it up again and contact you LL to complain about this as well.