LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Wednesday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    North of 'up north' but south of the border

I think much of the 'experience' of music went out the window when the larger format of vinyl album covers declined. I used to really enjoy the album art, inlays and sometimes even a 12x12 book(let) with a new record. CD's still do it to a degree but you need a magnifying glass.
    Sadly, most of my CD's are now digitised, including all of my classical collection - about 400 of the buggers or about 60Gb of files. The CD's now reside in the loft as we don't have space and the music resides on the PC, to be transported to phone, car and cloud as needed. It just doesn't sound the same, particularly with classical. Everything is so clipped.
    Another problem with digital media is the transition between tracks on 'progressive' albums. Dark Side of the Moon, for example, has little gaps just as you're getting into the swing of things.
    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

My copy of the snowgoose changes track a few bars into the next track breaking up the hammond organ lead.

The remastered editions and the genesis 5.1 remixes sorted a lot of that out, but it took out that live feel when you hear say a bass pedal note sound boom and then flump 4 beats later.

Or the fun of an album where the recording went right into the last spiral of the record.

Gosh now I remember "Monty Pythons instant record collection" where the record unfolded into a 12inch square of records- I left my pacemaker in San Franciso etc.

back in the day.............

I didn't understand a word of that thread, and how is it Andy that Darth Wookie gets away with 'buggers' when I got infracted for 'piss'? Don't bother with an answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I didn't understand a word of that thread, and how is it Andy that Darth Wookie gets away with 'buggers' when I got infracted for 'piss'? Don't bother with an answer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    I was in full rant mode and never thought anything of it. Unable to edit now so I'll give myself a 24 hour ban. See you all tomorrow.
    I may be a housing professional but my views, thoughts, opinions, advice, criticisms or otherwise on this board are mine and are not representative of my company, colleagues, managers. I am here as an independent human being who simply wants to learn new stuff, share ideas and interact with like minded people.

Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    That was in the bad old days jta.

And if it's any consolation, I don't understand a word of the technical debate on this thread either!

I just like listening to music. I don't need industrial doses of technological testosterone and a tendency towards obsession to enjoy it. I just press a button or move a dial and out comes the music! Magic.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

It's all those brass bands on every corner, they have ruined your hearing

Think of it as the difference in experience of say the new world symphony, hummed by every lad from the hovis factory, played on a Bosendorfer or Steinway Grand, or a Nan's rattly old upright in the parlour.

Give me Nan's rattly old upright any day - far more human! Though I do have to admit that the 1812 played really really loud via two Wharfedale Glendale speakers 9 inches apart on the floor with my head providing filling for the sandwich was a pretty cool experience...

wassat? someone say something...???

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    It's all those brass bands on every corner, they have ruined your hearing

Think of it as the difference in experience of say the new world symphony, hummed by every lad from the hovis factory, played on a Bosendorfer or Steinway Grand, or a Nan's rattly old upright in the parlour.
    Why do the makers of pianos get capital letters, when the title of the music or the bread manufacturer don't? Go on, let's hear it.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Why do the makers of pianos get capital letters, when the title of the music or the bread manufacturer don't? Go on, let's hear it.
    You are right I originally typed as usual in lower case and started to tidy up and then probably did some real work.

I started, but I didn't finish or check my work.

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    You are right I originally typed as usual in lower case and started to tidy up and then probably did some real work.

I started, but I didn't finish or check my work.
    How true. How can the punctuation police justify get so worked up about an informal part of the site. We all have day jobs (well, most of us) and a quick off the cuff comment is exactly that. Hence my 24 hour self imposed ban yesterday when I upset someone earlier on this thread.
    On other posts, where accuracy is important, you can see the excellent work of the experienced.