LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Sunday

Default The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005

I purchased a block of 10 flats in 2002 that had been converted in the 90's. The Fire Service have issued me a notice to carry out work quoting the above. Does this apply to my property even though it was converted in the 90's.
    Many thanks.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

Quote Originally Posted by bigdunc View Post
    I purchased a block of 10 flats in 2002 that had been converted in the 90's. The Fire Service have issued me a notice to carry out work quoting the above. Does this apply to my property even though it was converted in the 90's.
    Many thanks.

Yes it applies to all blocks converted or purpose built. The 1991 building regs "watershed" may have a basis of it being regarded as an HMO which may alter the steps you have to take as to compliance, but the order applies nonetheless.

Some building insurance polices are void if there is no assessment in place.

If you are unaware of this have you a common parts workplace risk assessment ? If not many providers will do these at the same time.

http://www.arma.org.uk/doc/public/LA...handSafety.pdf
    http://www.arma.org.uk/doc/public/Fi...28-09-2011.pdf
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

Yes, as stated above the Fire Safety Order applies to the common areas. Quite unusual to have a Notice served on flats though and I would be interested to know the details. Do you know the exact date of conversion and do you have a copy of the building regs completion cert?