LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Saturday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default meter changed by tenant

Hi i have a tenant about to move out of my property. On visiting the property i noticed the electric meter had been changed from a key meter pay as you go type meter to a credit meter. I have reqested that the tenant gets the key meter re instaled as it was there when they took residence am i within my rights to reqest this as the tenant seems reluctant to get this done i beleive there is a charge to get this done they have only been residents for six months any thoughts on this thanks lavy

My tenants asked me if they could change the meter, and I advised in writing that I couldn't grant permission, but if they did change it (because I knew I couldn't physically stop them) then they would have to change it back at the end of the tenancy or pay for it's replacement.

They changed it, left it in situ, so I am currently in the process of claiming £106 (2 x £53) from them. Will either of us succeed?

Lawcruncher would argue that the change does not financially affect the value of the property - how many prospective tenants turn down a wonderful flat on the basis of the electricity meter?

Quote Originally Posted by lavy View Post
    Hi i have a tenant about to move out of my property. On visiting the property i noticed the electric meter had been changed from a key meter pay as you go type meter to a credit meter. I have requested that the tenant gets the key meter re installed as it was there when they took residence am i within my rights to request this as the tenant seems reluctant to get this done i believe there is a charge to get this done they have only been residents for six months any thoughts on this thanks lavy
    The meters belong to utility company and not a LL and the account is between the Tenant and utility company who ever the Tenant chooses as a supplier.

I can sympathise with LL's when they find a meter has been changed,but the problem lies with privatisation of gas and electric in the 80's and free for all in the energy market.

Both tenants and homer owners has the right to choose any supplier and change the meter's if necessary...
    Nora Batty,Hattie Jacques,my kind of girls

Quote Originally Posted by 45002 View Post
    Both tenants and homer owners has the right to choose any supplier and change the meter's if necessary...
    Well, I have to agree with you on the former, that's the law, but if the tenants actions cause the landlord a consequential loss (ie cost of putting back to a credit meter) then I feel the tenant is liable for thpse financial damages.

But in the OP's post (s)he says that the tenant switched from a key/pay-as-you-go to a credit meter.

Quote Originally Posted by emwithme View Post
    But in the OP's post (s)he says that the tenant switched from a key/pay-as-you-go to a credit meter.
    Quite right, Lavy wants a key meter, I want to get rid of one, maybe we could swap properties!!!

Principle is the same, we both want tenants to return the property to the condition it was in when the tenancy began

Quote Originally Posted by emwithme View Post
    It is possible to do that,especially if tenant had a good credit rating and wanted to pay bills quarterly or pay by direct debit and did not want use a pre-paymeter....
    Nora Batty,Hattie Jacques,my kind of girls

I don't think it's right for a LL to directly affect the cost of utilities. It costs considerably more to use a top up meter and I don't think it's legal to impose terms to something you don't actually own.

Snorkerz, you've tried to haggle these costs down yes ... ? I've never had to pay to get a pre-paid meter changed to a credit one (switching/threatening to switch usually does the trick).
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Brb, as a non-resident the utilities know that doing me a 'favour' is pointless because the tenant can change suppliers at will.

Your comment about costs is exactly why I wanted to have the meter changed back. Unfortunately, not all tenants have the good standing of yourself, you need a great credit record as a tenant to get the utilities to even agree to convert fom pre-pay to credit meters (let alone, do so free of charge!)

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    Unfortunately, not all tenants have the good standing of yourself, you need a great credit record as a tenant to get the utilities to even agree to convert fom pre-pay to credit meters (let alone, do so free of charge!)
    I had generally thought that you would get Ts like me LOL

Obviously though it was always something I'd pick up when viewing a property and asking (if pre-payment meter there) if OK to change to credit one from the off. I stick with british gas (yes I know some ppl have problems with them, I do change tariffs) and if moving into a non BG property and pre-payment meters I give BG a ring. They have 10+ years history of me paying so happy to see me back.

I do though ask LL if they would like it switching back to whoever before leaving (so far all have said to leave it BG).

IMO there should be only one type of meter that can facilitate both pre-paid/credit accounts. Too much to ask ? meter-maker could go out of business tho'.
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.