Hi all,

We're 3 months into a 6 month AS tenancy, and have just bought a house. We are moving next week, and would like to end the tenancy as soon as possible.

Now, I know that we are liable for the rent, and I have no problem with that - after all, we signed a contract. However the LL has said that he won't allow us or the LA to find another tenant for the rest of the let, because he "wants to do building work and sell after the let is up, and can't be bothered with the hassle of having someone else in".

He's also claimed that he's worried about squatters moving in after we've left, and if that happens it would "ruin us" (sounds like bluster and empty threats to me, but never mind). He has told me he'll move his mate in to act as a "night watchman" after we've gone to make sure nobody else comes and occupies the house.

Having reviewed the contract, there is nothing in there that says we can't leave it empty, as long as we let LL or agent know if it's for more than 28 days, and allow them to secure the property.

Obviously, I'd like to find another tenant so we don't have to pay rent on an empty property, and I'd like to end our relationship with this character as quickly as possible so we can get on with enjoying our new place

What would you advise we do?