LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default CGT on BTL flat How to calculate and allowances

Hi. I bought a BTL flat in 2000 for £80000. Hope to sell this year (2012) for £140000. Obviously I had some legal and other costs for the purchase and will have similar for the sale. Am I right in thinking I can work out the average annual increase in value and deduct the last 3 years worth of property value increase from the cgt calculation? Can I also deduct anything due to letting allowance ?
    Now this year I will also buy another BTL property (partly funded by the sale of the first) can I therefore postpone the declaration of,cgt on the first property if I have spent it on another property in the same year?
    Alternatively if I have to make additional capital expenditure on the new property in order to make it habitable then can I offset this additional expenditure against the gain on the first property?

Quote Originally Posted by stanfsim View Post
    Am I right in thinking I can work out the average annual increase in value and deduct the last 3 years worth of property value increase from the cgt calculation?
    Why do you think that, have you seen it written anywhere? I believe this is only if the property was ever your principle primary residence. I'm not even sure you qualify for letting relief if you never lived there.

I've not yet had to deal with CGT myself but as it's a tax on the profit from the disposal of an asset I wouldn't have thought the purchase of another would have any affect.

I picked it up from another thread in this forum - no idea if it is correct or not though.......

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...638#post369638

Also seems to be something in this HMRC helpsheet about last 36 months of ownership and also letting relief - although I can't say its clear to me ....

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/helpsheets/hs283.pdf

Both of your examples are for selling a property that was at some point your home. As you bought your property as an investment I don't think you qualify for either the 3 exempt years or letting relief.

If your BTL flat was let out for entire period from 2000-2012, your capital gain is 60K. You can deduct a free allowance of 10.6K and rest will be taxed at 18% or 28% CGT.

If you buy a new property and spend on some improvements before start of letting, the total cost can only be set against the proceeds of a future sale for calculating the capital gains tax.

& if you ever lived there, then tell us as it will reduce the tax.

Are you married?

Many thanks to you all for your replies.
    No I'm not married the flat is in my sole name.
    Would it make any difference if I lived there for say 6 months before selling - or might this be seen as tax avoidance ?

Tax avoidance is legal, such as using a ISA or utilising your spouse's allowance. It's tax evasion that's illegal.

I think you only have the first two years of owning a second property to decide which is your PPR. Although that might be if you aren't, or can't prove, you are living or going to be living in the second property. If you totally move there for six months, have all your post go there, utilties and bank accounts addressed there, register on the electoral roll, etc then it might qualify. Also buying a third property could give you the two years to decide which property is your PPR again. Your current home would benefit from the last 3 year exemption and would qualify for letting relief if you let it out.

I'm not 100% sure of all of this. As it could save you a lot of tax it would be worth getting professional advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneK2011 View Post
    I think... I'm not 100% sure of all of this.
    Dead right you're not.

OP, deliberately living there for 6 months before selling purely to artificially claim PPR relief would make no difference. It would never have become your *permanent* residence.