LandlordZONE

23

Nov, 2014

Sunday

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default EPC - Do i need to put copy on advert.

    Hi,

    I am just about to advertise my property for rent.

    I have a valid EPC.Do I need to provide a copy on the advert(Internet),or do the new rules mean that I provide a copy to potential tenants,i.e those who make an enquiry through the internet as well as people I may show around the property.

    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    Seem to be attached more and more to online adverts although I'm pretty sure the legal requirement is to provide it to your tenant not to anyone viewing.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    You must attach the first page of the EPC to any written description of the property that fulfill the following criterion:
    (b) in relation to a building to be rented out, any written description of the property
    which includes at least two of the following—
    (i) a photograph of the building or any room in the building,
    (ii) a floor plan of the building,
    (iii) the size of the rooms in the building,
    (iv) the measured area of the building, or
    (v) the proposed rent;
    and reference to written particulars or a written description includes particulars or a
    description given or made available electronically
    In practice this means that the EPC should be attached to most, if not all, online ad.

  4. #4

    Default

    Many thanks for the reply.

    Any idea how one goes about attaching the EPC to such sites as rightmove etc.

    Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by jjlandlord View Post
    You must attach the first page of the EPC to any written description of the property that fulfill the following criterion:


    In practice this means that the EPC should be attached to most, if not all, online ad.

  5. #5

    Default

    Forget that,I think I have managed to answer my own question.

    Thanks again


    Quote Originally Posted by rusty69 View Post
    Many thanks for the reply.

    Any idea how one goes about attaching the EPC to such sites as rightmove etc.

    Thanks

  6. #6

    Default

    Well I have just had my first EPC done on a 1 bedroom conversion flat in a Victorian house and it is not worth the cost of the ink in printing it!All the external walls have been lined with 25mm insulated plasterboard on battens. But the assessor couldn't see that so the flat has been marked as solid brick walls with "no insulation". I showed him the plaster board used but even that wasn't acceptable as his computer programme wouldn't accept anything below 50mm.
    The pitched roof of the original 1894 addition (now kitchen & shower) hashad the lath and plaster removed and been insulated with foil wrapped rockwool covered by plasterboard.The ceiling also has, as do the other 2 rooms, a mineral fibre suspended ceiling. The assessor, of course, can't see this insulation either so has marked it "no insulation". The floor has also been marked as "no insulation" despite the fact that there is a cellar where I have deliberately run the communal central heating pipes exposed around the walls to keep the cellar warm and dry. The certificate is 100% fiction as far as I'm concerned!
    It then goes on, adding insult to injury, to recommend that if I spend between £4,000 and £14,000 on internal or external wall insulation I can save £85 per year!!! And I can save a further £35 a year if I spend between £800 and £1,200 insulating the floor!
    Why do we put up with this c**p? I don't mind improving my property afterall it's my house and I don't want it deteriorating. Plus I take pride inwhat I offer a tenant. But to pay out for a certificate that does not represent the work I have done to this flat is extremely annoying, to putit politely. Well rant over but I would like to hear of other peoples experiences. Regards, Pat
    Last edited by patray; 22-04-2012 at 15:41 PM. Reason: spacing

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,273

    Default

    I agree with you Pat. Your experience is almost a disincentive to others to do any insulating, as you get no credit for it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,098

    Default

    The inability to add in specific build options - unlike a SAP calculation - is just another issue with the EPCs being worthlees - imho. '13-inch' and thicker solid walls are rated the same as '9-inch' solid walls which is, put bluntly, stupid.

    The other issue I have with them is that there is an assumption of good workmanship. Unfortunately, the key element in getting a building to perform efficiently / environmentally friendly is the workmanship.

    Good job the prices have started to tumble.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by patray View Post
    Well I have just had my first EPC done on a 1 bedroom conversion flat in a Victorian house and it is not worth the cost of the ink in printing it!All the external walls have been lined with 25mm insulated plasterboard on battens. But the assessor couldn't see that so the flat has been marked as solid brick walls with "no insulation". I showed him the plaster board used but even that wasn't acceptable as his computer programme wouldn't accept anything below 50mm.
    The pitched roof of the original 1894 addition (now kitchen & shower) hashad the lath and plaster removed and been insulated with foil wrapped rockwool covered by plasterboard.The ceiling also has, as do the other 2 rooms, a mineral fibre suspended ceiling. The assessor, of course, can't see this insulation either so has marked it "no insulation". The floor has also been marked as "no insulation" despite the fact that there is a cellar where I have deliberately run the communal central heating pipes exposed around the walls to keep the cellar warm and dry. The certificate is 100% fiction as far as I'm concerned!
    It then goes on, adding insult to injury, to recommend that if I spend between £4,000 and £14,000 on internal or external wall insulation I can save £85 per year!!! And I can save a further £35 a year if I spend between £800 and £1,200 insulating the floor!
    Why do we put up with this c**p? I don't mind improving my property afterall it's my house and I don't want it deteriorating. Plus I take pride inwhat I offer a tenant. But to pay out for a certificate that does not represent the work I have done to this flat is extremely annoying, to putit politely. Well rant over but I would like to hear of other peoples experiences. Regards, Pat
    Very frustrating! No experiences as bad as that, but we had one done where the DEA recommended installing TRVs on the radiators. There wasn't a single rad in the house that didn't already have one - there was even one on the rad in the hall. I argued until he issued an amended EPC. It was pretty accurate apart from that though.

    Just been looking at one for an auction property that says the heating is from a boiler & rads, mains gas, and there's no secondary heating; evidently the DEA didn't even bother to look upstairs because the house has been semi-converted into two flats and the upstairs only has wall-mounted electric heaters, no central heating at all. He also assumed no loft insulation, which also suggests that he never even went upstairs to investigate whether there was a loft hatch!

    We had one done in Jan on a property we'd just bought (an ex-council townhouse built c.1970); I was very happy with the job he did and would be more than happy to recommend his services to anyone looking for a DEA in the Birmingham/Solihull area - just PM me.

Similar Threads

  1. Sad Aviva Advert
    By JK0 in forum Take a Break - for the less serious!
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 14:28 PM
  2. Painted advert on wall rules?
    By tommy_higs in forum Commercial Property Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-02-2012, 10:59 AM
  3. Misleading Letting Agency Advert....HELP PLS
    By Sophie_29 in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-09-2011, 01:15 AM
  4. Property Misdescribed in Original Advert
    By Grapefruit in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 20-08-2011, 10:55 AM
  5. Free Advert Sites
    By sharemaster2 in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-04-2006, 10:33 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •