LandlordZONE

18

Apr, 2014

Friday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Carpets in HMOs

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Default Carpets in HMOs

    I heard today that some councils in Scotland are going to insist that all HMO licensed properties have carpets and six sockets in each room.

    Personally I think that this crosses the line as there is no similar requirement for non HMO rented properties, council rented properties or owner occupied properties.

  2. #2

    Default

    I don't have any HMO but I agree. If this is does become a requirement then I think a line has been crossed.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    24,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    I heard today that some councils in Scotland are going to insist that all HMO licensed properties have carpets and six sockets in each room.

    Personally I think that this crosses the line as there is no similar requirement for non HMO rented properties, council rented properties or owner occupied properties.
    The requirement for carpets is about protection from noise nuisance. HMOs by definition are inhabited by unrelated tenants, often students or younger people, on separate tenancies, often in converted large houses or flats, who (unlike for example a family) may have minimal interest in being considerate to each other or their neighbours. I have no wish to stereotype but councils do find many complaints about noise centre on HMO tenants.

    And it isn't six sockets in every room, just in the kitchen; it's four in bedrooms/living rooms. Seems eminently reasonable to me. I'm not sure what 'line' anyone thinks has been crossed!

    http://www.business.scotland.gov.uk/...type=RESOURCES
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Thumbs down

    What a load of nonsense so unrelated people walking around a property cause more noise than related people walking around a property.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    24,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandi View Post
    What a load of nonsense so unrelated people walking around a property cause more noise than related people walking around a property.
    There is no need to be rude.

    It is not just about 'walking about'. Carpets offer noise protection from other sources of annoyance such as other people's music, radio, TV, conversation, parties, etc.

    I think you will find that councils do indeed find that the lifestyles and behaviour of tenants in HMOs is typically different from that of families or other kinds of tenants who have some kind of connection to each other and where someone (usually a parent), has some kind of control over household behaviour and noise levels. HMOs, especially multiple separate tenancy ones, tend to house (as I explained before) between two and eight young adults, whether students, young professionals, or whatever. They generally do not know the others in the house and have less incentive/inclination to be quiet and considerate. They have more lively social lives than most families. Nobody has the authority to say 'Right guys, lights out after midight. We mustn't annoy the neighbours upstairs/below'!

    That's a generalisaion of course - some families can be very noisy and selfish and some groups of young people very quiet and considerate. Junior Plymouth Brethren, for example.

    But there is a reason why councils discriminate in these situations. Why do you think fire regs are so much stricter in licensable HMOs than in family lets? Answer : because in a fire, people who are related to each other are more likely to 'look out' for each other than unrelated separate tenants of an HMO.

    If you don't believe me, do some reading up about HMOs. You seem to be struggling to grasp the basics.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    There is no need to be rude.

    It is not just about 'walking about'. Carpets offer noise protection from other sources of annoyance such as other people's music, radio, TV, conversation, parties, etc.

    I think you will find that councils do indeed find that the lifestyles and behaviour of tenants in HMOs is typically different from that of families or other kinds of tenants who have some kind of connection to each other and where someone (usually a parent), has some kind of control over household behaviour and noise levels. HMOs, especially multiple separate tenancy ones, tend to house (as I explained before) between two and eight young adults, whether students, young professionals, or whatever. They generally do not know the others in the house and have less incentive/inclination to be quiet and considerate. They have more lively social lives than most families. Nobody has the authority to say 'Right guys, lights out after midight. We mustn't annoy the neighbours upstairs/below'!

    That's a generalisaion of course - some families can be very noisy and selfish and some groups of young people very quiet and considerate. Junior Plymouth Brethren, for example.

    But there is a reason why councils discriminate in these situations. Why do you think fire regs are so much stricter in licensable HMOs than in family lets? Answer : because in a fire, people who are related to each other are more likely to 'look out' for each other than unrelated separate tenants of an HMO.

    If you don't believe me, do some reading up about HMOs. You seem to be struggling to grasp the basics.
    I fully understand the basics it is about local authorities spending other peoples money. HMO landlords are a very soft target, do you really think they would bring this standard in if the Council had to provide a grant to landlords for this expenditure or if tenants were responsible for this expenditure.

    The fire regulations are equally ridiculous, the fire brigade have a map of areas they consider high risk and areas populated by students are ranked lower than local authority areas.

    Also I confirm that from 31.3.12 the regulations for electrical sockets are (taken from CEC regulations) as below and not per your out of date link:

    The number of electrical socket outlets available for occupier use would be expected to meet at least the following minimum requirements:
    6 in each kitchen
    6 in each bedroom and living room
    4 additional sockets anywhere in the building.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    help@tenancyservices.co.uk
    Posts
    15,864

    Default

    6 in a kitchen is laughably few. My domestic kitchen has 19! Fridge, freezer, kettle, microwave, washing machine, toaster, dryer, food mixer, dishwasher, unused toastie maker, etc etc.

    6 in a bedroom will be for fire risk control

    Average HMO 'room'

    Mobile Phone charger
    Laptop charger
    Hair dryer
    Alarm Clock (broken)
    Entertainment system

    Those are just off the top of my head, 4 sockets = almost certain overloading of sockets via 'double adaptors'.

    I am sure your average Scottish HMO landlord does not want his property to suffer a fire. Think of the hassle and loss of revenue whilst the place is restored! I guess there is also the issue of loss of life - but I can't think how to show that in a 'financial' manner.
    Last edited by Snorkerz; 02-04-2012 at 13:44 PM. Reason: Made a cup of coffee and counted the sockets

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    6 in a kitchen is laughably few. My domestic kitchen has 19! Fridge, freezer, kettle, microwave, washing machine, toaster, dryer, food mixer, dishwasher, unused toastie maker, etc etc.

    6 in a bedroom will be for fire risk control

    Average HMO 'room'

    Mobile Phone charger
    Laptop charger
    Hair dryer
    Alarm Clock (broken)
    Entertainment system

    Those are just off the top of my head, 4 sockets = almost certain overloading of sockets via 'double adaptors'.

    I am sure your average Scottish HMO landlord does not want his property to suffer a fire. Think of the hassle and loss of revenue whilst the place is restored! I guess there is also the issue of loss of life - but I can't think how to show that in a 'financial' manner.
    I would say that I rent a bedroom and the amount of sockets in that bedroom should be the same as for all other types of housing.

    Having so many electrical items is a tenant's lifestyle choice and if they require more than average then they should purchase a multi plug socket (probably the same as they have in their bedroom at home note the hypocrisy).

    Regarding the fire risk, modern multiplug sockets have a fuse breaker so overloading the socket is not an issue.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    help@tenancyservices.co.uk
    Posts
    15,864

    Default

    No, because if you rent a house all the electrical equipment is distributed around various rooms. In a regular house the electrical items in a 'bedroom' would be minimal. Maybe if you consider that each room in a HMO is a 'dwelling house'. Well it is in England, I don't know the legal terms in Scotland.

    Your suggestion re 'multi plug sockets' is flawed in so far as if there are insufficient sockets provided then the room is not fit for purpose. Would you consider any of the 5 items I suggested 'excessive' in the 21st century? I know Frankie Boyle jokes that you go back 30 years when you enter Glasgow but I suspect HMO occupiers in Scotland are as au-fait with an i-pad as their compatriots south of the border.

    Would I be right in guessing you never lived in 'bedsit land' when you were younger?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    No, because if you rent a house all the electrical equipment is distributed around various rooms. In a regular house the electrical items in a 'bedroom' would be minimal. Maybe if you consider that each room in a HMO is a 'dwelling house'. Well it is in England, I don't know the legal terms in Scotland.

    Your suggestion re 'multi plug sockets' is flawed in so far as if there are insufficient sockets provided then the room is not fit for purpose. Would you consider any of the 5 items I suggested 'excessive' in the 21st century? I know Frankie Boyle jokes that you go back 30 years when you enter Glasgow but I suspect HMO occupiers in Scotland are as au-fait with an i-pad as their compatriots south of the border.

    Would I be right in guessing you never lived in 'bedsit land' when you were younger?
    As far as I am aware each room in a HMO is not classed as a dwelling house in Scotland but also believe that if you applied the English definition of a HMO in Scotland then 95% of Scottish HMOs would be taken out of licensing.

    For the 5 items you suggested to have its own plug for a hair dryer and its own plug for a mobile phone charger I would regard as excessive.

Similar Threads

  1. CGT for HMOs
    By GJMSurrey in forum HMO - Multi Occupation Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-06-2010, 19:41 PM
  2. Carpets
    By Redzone33 in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-08-2009, 14:36 PM
  3. carpets
    By micwishbone in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16-08-2009, 19:30 PM
  4. Carpets
    By WILLOMAX in forum Residential Letting Questions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-01-2008, 21:07 PM
  5. Hmos
    By ewloe18 in forum HMO - Multi Occupation Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-10-2006, 18:45 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •