LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Thursday

Default Change of use class from C3 to C4

I am in the process to get a permit for change of use from C3 - dwelling to C4 - HMO and it's a bit of a pain.

I can forsee big problems in the future and I was just wondering what everyone elses experience are so far.

Thanks

I love this topic!!

One of my favourites.

Am about to apply for my first one since it came into force in our area two weeks ago. I will report back.

I have a definite line of attack for my area.

Bring on the argument around the definition of sustainable...
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.

That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!

I am glad I am not the only one!

I have approached two councils and here is what I have learned so far:

Nothamptonborough Council:
    I received very good advice during an initial phone call to the planning department. It was made clear to me which areas will not get the permission. The roads I was interested in were clearly not inside the area. Next step was to outline my intentions in writing to the planning department. This was considered a pre-planning application and I had to pay 10% of the cost of the full planning application, approx. £33. I had been given some idea what to mention in the e-mail but there was no form to fill in or clear criteria to be met.

In the response I received 3 weeks later it turned out that the highway agency had been contacted and confirmed that parking won't be an issue. There was also no overconcentration of HMO's in the area. The lady had to admit that really they don't know how many HMO's there are. I assume the planning department only knows about the licensend ones,not the unlisensed.

In the written response I have been asked about outlining how the property will be managed, who will be maintain the garden and the front of the house, how I am going to provide drying fascilities and manage the waste.

I have also been told that the neighbours will be informed ones I make the full planning application and a current permission was turned down because of the neighbours protest. However the planner themselves hope the LL is going to appeal. They understand that there is a huge demand for shared houses and if the property meets all requirements the fact that the neighbours don't like having an HMO in their neighbourhood, should not be enough of a reason to turn down the application.

2. Milton Keynes council
    The planning department don't have "no-go" areas and will decide on a case-by-case basis. They seem to believe that there are more than enough HMO's and do their best to turn down every application for change of use or approve the application but demand sound insulation of ALL walls and ceilings. The Private housing department on the other hand confirmed that there is a huge demand for shared houses especially since the LHA rules have been amended and under 35's are not entiteled to a 1-bed flat but to shared accomodation only.

The planning department has also come up with an "interesting" rule about how many HMO's they deem to be acceptable in an area. They deem 20% acceptable within a certain radius. So if there are a few HMO's in another street within this radius, I might not get planning permission!

I moved out of my house and rented it to 3 just before the Nov 11 deadline. I still however, applied for a certificate of lawful use. When i spoke to the planners they were basically saying that they were trying not to have too many larger HMOs but weren't being as tough with the 3/4 beds.

Why not go onto the planning website and look at what comments have been passed on previous applications by the planners and why permission has been turned down or granted.

Also if the property is really a family home there could be the argument that converting to HMO would remove family orientated housing whereas if the property is a 3 bed flat the nature of use might not change so much.

I have checked p;anning applications online.

The bottom line is that Northamptonshire Council is helpful and apart from one application none has been rejected so far and that was down to neighbours not being happy. The planners themselves hope the LL is going to appeal. Interesting isn't it?

Milton Keynes council has a completely different attitude and try to make it nearly impossible to get the permission. I looked at some applications. One was approved but the LL was asked to sound proof the walls of a terraced house towards both sides and all floors too. That costs and arm and a leg and financially not viable. It's one way to put LL off.

How they can assume that a few professionals would be noisier than a family with a few teenage kids, I don't know. Families don't have to sound proof their walls, or?

From my research, the key may be the fact that it is not implemented retrospectively. If you can show that it has been an hmo for some considerable time, then they won't insist on planning permission on a change of use.