LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Friday

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I spoke to Darren in regards to my panics and wish to thank him very much for his advice.

Here are some photos of the "common ground" in the property, to confirm, a house that has been converted into two self contained flats - ground floor and first floor.

My back is pressed firmly against the front door for you to gain an idea of size of communal area - my front door is situated on the left, the freeholder's front door is situated directly in front.

Photo0476.jpgPhoto0477.jpg

This is the photo of the front door - taken with my back pressed up against the freeholder's flat front door and with my front door to the right.

Photo0478.jpg

This is my front door:

Photo0480.jpg

The freeholder's front door:

Photo0479.jpg

Sorry for the amount of replies, but I was not able to upload more than 2 photos per reply.

I think from what I can see your front door would provide what we describe as a notional period of fire resistance. I can't really tell from the free holders door if it is solid or hollow. I think there would be little benefit to installing a mixed common detection system as we discussed given the size and limited number of flats. The internal layout of the first floor flat may have some bearing on the issues in terms of travel distance and the fire resistance of the internal doors in the flat. Both flat doors will need over head positive action self closing devices but not strips and seals unless the doors are replaced for new ones, these should be FD30s doors.

Darren

Many thanks Darren, you've really helped.

Sadly, now the solicitors have the FRA, I don't think there is a lot that can be done, apart from sit back to await the outcome. We'll either have to get the works carried out, with consent from Freeholder, or have our price knocked down.......

I'll keep you posted as to what happens, and many thanks again.

Just thought I'd update that I spoke to East Sussex Fire Brigade today and have been asked to phone back on Monday to arrange a free of charge assessment by themselves.

I'll report back with any further info.

when them come just make sure that the officers that attend have spesific fire safety experience, if they are opererational crews they will probably do a home fire risk assessment of your flat which is not what you need.

Hi Darren,
    I spoke to a Fire Safety Officer today from Hove Fire Station - he has advised that the FRA is excessive and we do not need to implement all that has been stated in the report.

All we will be carrying out are the fire doors and placing a battery smoke alarm in the communal area, (hallway), and ensure that there is one in each flat.

What an outcome - totally different to a paid for report from a fire alarm company......

Thank you for making me think further about this.

Quote Originally Posted by KMB5 View Post

What an outcome - totally different to a paid for report from a fire alarm company......

That partially explains it then. Of course they are going to specify 'the works' because its in their interest.

It's best to get an independant risk assessment done by an accredited assessor.

Did these guys (the fire chaps) give you a written risk assesmnet for future reference?
    If they didn't and you want to dot the i's, I suggest you write your own risk assessment with what they told you as a remedy in the recommendations section, send it to them for their approval. You will then have a FRA for the communal area which can be used for another sale should the worst happen.
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php