May, 2017


Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Default Planning consent

    My question is if you Purchase the freehold of your flat do you still have to gain permission for structural changes or changes to the appearance of the flat

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010


    Assuming the flat is in England or Wales.

    Do you mean you, individually have the freehold of the whole property part of which is your flat or do you mean that the lessees have grouped together to form a comapny to buy the freehold or do you mean a freehold flat (which is very rare)?

    Largely irrelevant though.

    Flats do not have Permitted Development rights under the Planning system. So any changes you wish to make (an extension, changing the windows) are subject to seeking and gaining Planning Consent.

    This aside structural changes along with alteration to the electrics, drainage, thermal element etc... will also require Building Regulation approval.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Similar Threads

  1. wrong planning consent
    By mandie in forum Planning & Development Questions
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 22-11-2010, 17:20 PM
  2. Council demanding 'uplift' after planning consent
    By Interlaken in forum Planning & Development Questions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16-06-2010, 17:52 PM
  3. Is something built without planning consent legal until Enforcement action is taken?
    By elmbeard in forum Planning & Development Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-02-2009, 17:06 PM
  4. Planning enforcement- using house as HMO without consent
    By john carling in forum Planning & Development Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 12:18 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts