LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Thursday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Roof Repair Only lasted 2 years! Roofer is ignoring my emails.

I had a serious damp issue rectified at the end of 2009 in the attic bedroom. The area in question was largely the end wall above the fire place and below the chimney pots. I contacted a local roofer through yellow pages and we communicated by phone and email as I live abroad. The Roofer gave me an estimation and a fixed price. The work was carried out and he was good enough to take before and after pictures. The attic room after that was damp free and I was able to let the room out. But at the end of January my tenant came to the end of his rental agreement and moved out. On inspection the damp was back with vengeance in the same area as before. I've written to the Roofer twice and checked his website just incase the contact details have changed. They have not but he has not responded. His website boasts that the service they deliver is of the highest quality and of the upmost professionalism. BUT no mention of guarantee.

If a roof repair only lasts 2 years do I have any recourse legally to sue for the cost of repair?

Thanks Charles:^)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Which is 'before', and which is 'after'?

Neither job looks very professional. (Typical Yellow Pages bodger.) The top picture has roofing felt stuck to the corners, and the bottom picture has flashband.

You are lucky to get two years from either solution. The correct solution is to have right angled sheets of solid lead (called flashing) interleaved with the slates. Then a cover strip is put over the top with steps cut in the top of it. This is fastened into the mortar joints of the chimney with lead wedges, and the mortar reinstated.

I wouldn't know as it's not my area of expertise. But I do now and will most probably have to get the lot done again before I sell in the summer!

The top picture looks like the after. I don't think it's felt though. Looks too thin. Doesn't mater as, in reality, a two year old picture is pretty meaningless.

Given the state of the brickwork, tiles and coping I'd say it wasn't just a roofing issue. I would suggest that the whole area needs to be looked at including the other side of the wall.

Even in those pictures the pointing, beddings and flaunchings are really poor so, after two bad winters, it's safe to assume that their considerably worse.

I would also render the internal wall rather than plaster it.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

That may also be true but I would have expected it to last more than 2 years. The Roofer should not have done the job if it was not going to last or should have told me that this was a temporary solution. His bill for several thousand certainly didn't indicate that.

Several thousand??? Are you serious??? The most expensive part of that entire repair scenario was probably the scaffold hire. Did the roofer give you any run down on what he was going to do as a repair, for example, did he say it would be flashband, felt or did he say it would be a lead flashing?
    Ohm sweet Ohm

Further to the above comments it would be good to have sight of your contract (if you had one) and/or invoices etc detailing charges

Oh and further to this, is the roofer still in business under a limited company, was it a sole trader etc?

After all, if they are no longer trading under that company it's going to be very difficult to do anything sadly IMO...

Well the good news is the company is alive and kicking and doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast. Yes it's a ltd company. And the contract by email for the works were to "clear the gutters, cap the chimneys, slate repair and erection and removal of scaffolding at the property to carry out said works". I wrote that myself before the work started as the main terms of the work to be carried out. Although the materials used are not detailed I'd argue that you wouldn't expect a company that purports to be of the highest professionalism to carry out work that is substandard. ....Hindsight I know!

Couple of good points there...

Glad the company is still in business.

I assume it's the same slate tiles which are now causing you problems? Perhaps contact trading standards and threaten the firm with legal action should they not make good the repairs.