LandlordZONE

Nov, 2014

Monday

Default Smoke Alarms post EHO visit

Hi , I have finally got rid of a nightmare tenant. However, before she left she called in the Enviromental Health Officer who basically said everything was fine but as she had been called in she would now have to get me to install mains smoke alarms. Ithought that once the old tenant moved out that would be it but she has called me to say it still needs to be done. Is this the law or just guidance as I have now gutted the house and replastered and painted etc after the previous tenant wrecked the property. Im all for safety, i have smoke alarms in almost every room in my own home but there must be another way. Can i put battery smoke alarms in each room.

I think you can connect a mains one to each ceiling rose, and they will activate the others by radio signal.

Connecting mains smoke alarms to the ceiling light fittings is not recognised as an acceptable way of installation, even though it makes sense to do it this way. Safety circuits should be separated, ie on their own MCB or RCBO at the consumer unit. They should also be interlinked so that one alarm condition will set all detectors off simultaneously. Interlinking is generally acheived using 3 core and earth cable. There is one major drawback with a separated safety circuit, should the MCB or RCBO operate, it wouldn't necessarily be apparant, and the system could be useless. If an existing lighting circuit is used to supply the power for the system you would have an indication that the MCB/RCBO had operated because the lights wouldn't work. I personally think that is a better method of installation but I don't write the regs. You can take a supply from one light and run a 3c & earth cable to all other detectors if this is easier for you in your situation, but by rights, it should be a separate circuit.
    Ohm sweet Ohm

If your let is a house in multiple occupation, you should have a proper fire risk assessment carried out and you will require mains wired smoke detection

If it's not, you still have a duty of care, but the risk will be perceived as lower so a risk assessment may find that a battery detector is adequate.

Have a look at the lacors guidance pdf below

http://www.lacors.gov.uk/lacors/upload/19175.pdf
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php

I assume you mean smoke detection with the flats and not common areas? The flats should have mains powered (to BS 5839 part 6) standard, this would be enforceable under the Housing Act. As a minimum the flats should have battery powered 10 year smoke alarms. When you think that smoke detection has been a requiremnt in new domestic premises since 1991 and we are now in 2012 and are thinking of not providing something to warn occupants in the event of a fire in their home I think it leaves Landlords and responsible persons wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Baird View Post
    I assume you mean smoke detection with the flats and not common areas? .
    It says "house" in the first post

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Baird View Post
    The flats should have mains powered (to BS 5839 part 6) standard, this would be enforceable under the Housing Act
    Where does it mention mains powered smoke detectors in the housing act?

Bradbourbon;

EHO's can be over zealous. You may find this thread helpful

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...664#post356664
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php