LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Friday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New EPC Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Manchester View Post
    Ha yes - I'm yet to have a prospective T ask for sight of an EPC! Good thing they last 10 years...
    So be a bit more pro-active and offer to show them it - especially when you can use it as a selling point,i.e. rating of B or A. If the EPC is abysmal, then you could pick up the phone and suggest to the LL that their property would be more attractive and easy to let if improvements were effected.

It must get very boring being a letting agent, with nothing much to do all day. So why not use your time more productively! You'll find the hours just fly past.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Being a legal requirement, prospective tenants should not need to ask to see the EPC: it should be included with the property's particulars as provided.
    A small landlord might not put together such document, ok. But a letting agent, being professional, should.

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    So be a bit more pro-active and offer to show them it
    This stood out as it was the first time that someone has opened their conversation with " Can you show me the epc for 18 ******* Place please" before anything else. I was just impressed that here was someone who had done their homework.

Most tenants just aren't that interested in them even after you've told them what it is; it gets a bit boring constantly telling people what they are when they are clearly not remotely interested.

I must be different. I check the EPC (which you obviously take with a pinch of salt). Like to know what my bills are going to be like!.

I've never seen an A rating. New homes built round the corner have solar panels etc and they're being rated as B with potentially being ... B (ie no recommendations to better the rating possible).
    I'm a good tenant with great landlords
    I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Quote Originally Posted by Brb View Post
    I must be different. I check the EPC (which you obviously take with a pinch of salt). Like to know what my bills are going to be like!.

I've never seen an A rating. New homes built round the corner have solar panels etc and they're being rated as B with potentially being ... B (ie no recommendations to better the rating possible).
    I've seen some A rated homes - most notably our neighbour's new-build which has pv panels and ground source heat pump and is a net producer of energy - so it's got a rating of 105%! I'm a bit envious.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by oaktree View Post

Most tenants just aren't that interested in them even after you've told them what it is; it gets a bit boring constantly telling people what they are when they are clearly not remotely interested.
    Welcome to the world of teaching! You will just have to make it more interesting, won't you. Do you need a script, or what?

Most children don't want to know about why they should eat broccoli, but it's still important that they do know.

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    I've seen some A rated homes - most notably our neighbour's new-build which has pv panels and ground source heat pump and is a net producer of energy - so it's got a rating of 105%! I'm a bit envious.
    More proof of how dodgy EPC certificates are...

2 things on an EPC:
    - Something labeled "energy efficiency": I'm not to sure what they intend this to be, but literally this means, obviously, how efficiently energy is used. I don't see how producing your own energy would improve efficiency, unless they only care about energy got from the grid, but to me that's defeating the purpose.
    - Something labeled "Environmental (CO2) impact": This is useless in itself as it assumes energy consumption = CO2 emission.