LandlordZONE

Sep, 2014

Wednesday

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Cat Flap Trauma!

For good reasons we have had to move the cat flap for out two mogs from the back dor to the front. Similar design of cat-flap, just different location.

One of the two took to the new one instantly and comes in and out of it quite happily. The other one watches his brother appear and disappear through it with a look of bemusement and faint envy on his face, but refuses to use it himself.

Should we just shove him in and out of it a few times until the penny drops, or should we let him come round to the idea in his own good time? He is a bit of a big girl's blouse at the best of times and I don't want to traumatise him (and put him off it for even longer!), but on the other hand, he might just be too thick to work it out himself.

What do you reckon?
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Should we just shove him in and out of it a few times until the penny drops,
    Yes, I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Been there, done that.

Or, you could try enticing him with his favourite dinner/treat on the other side of the flap.

Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye

Or you could get down on your knees and show the cat how it is done.

If nothing else, it might give the family a good chuckle while watching you

I am sorry, awkward tenants like this need evicting - it is all well and good caring for those in society less fortunate than ourselves, but where does one stop? They'll be asking to live rent free with all food and utilities included next.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    I am sorry, awkward tenants like this need evicting - it is all well and good caring for those in society less fortunate than ourselves, but where does one stop? They'll be asking to live rent free with all food and utilities included next.
    Quite! However, on that basis, I would also have to evict at least two of our three children (i.e. the 'permanent student' ones).

Actually, it is beginning to sound quite an attractive idea...
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    Or you could get down on your knees and show the cat how it is done.

If nothing else, it might give the family a good chuckle while watching you
    Ha! I think not. The cat flap is about 6" wide and svelte as I am, I think it would be an indulgent waste of £12.95, not to mention the time spent installing the flipping thing. The leaflet accompanying the device did however warn us that 'alien cats, dogs and even small children may be able to pass through the flap' as well as our own cats.

Now that sounds as though it might be worth watching...!

I've always wondered whether aliens kept pets. Now I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Mug View Post
    Yes, I'm afraid that's what you'll have to do. Been there, done that.

Or, you could try enticing him with his favourite dinner/treat on the other side of the flap.
    Right! As soon as he's finished catching up with all the rugby matches he missed watching last weekend, the Training will Commence! I'll tell him it was your idea, Mrs Mug.

Watch this space.

Did you provide a copy of the manual?

I know everything there is to know about catflaps as I used to sell them all over Europe and North America....however I know nothing about cats and prefer dogs....
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Sorry to be sensible, but I would encourage the reluctant cat with something very tempting on the other side of the new flap (he must have a favourite food), and perhaps a bit of subtle shoving. Do it a few times and the cat will learn to use the flap. Shoving alone will never work.