LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Saturday

Unhappy Landlord with OCD- enters and cleans house

I've got a strange question here.

What happens if the landlord has an obsessive compulsive disorder towards the state of cleanliness in the house? I.e.. the tenant suspects that the landlord has been entering the premises regularly when they are at work, and has been cleaning up the house for them. Although nothing is stolen/damage, and it appears that the landlord just wants the house cleaned the way it was before he let it out, clearly, this is a gross invasion of privacy of the tenants. Can the tenants do anything about this?

Yes change the locks and withold the keys! ... I know its creepy .. but isnt it nice to have a cleaner!!!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by justaboutsane View Post
    Yes change the locks and withold the keys! ... I know its creepy .. but isnt it nice to have a cleaner!!!
    The locks and keys can't be change in the premises. Yes, it is extremely creepy.

So is he sneaking in and cleaning up the mould that you reported on an earlier thread?

What kind of security system is present which means that you cannot change the lock and key - is it an electronic system?

Are you sure he has OCD - you have medical evidence for this? Are you certain that you are not in a state of psychogenic fugue and have been undertaking these activities and simply not recollecting them?

Contact your landlord about your concerns and remind him that it is your right, enshrined in law, to quiet enjoyment of the accommodation and the landlord must provide reasonable notice of any visits and only undertake them if permission from yourself is given.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Beeber View Post
    So is he sneaking in and cleaning up the mould that you reported on an earlier thread?

What kind of security system is present which means that you cannot change the lock and key - is it an electronic system?

Are you sure he has OCD - you have medical evidence for this? Are you certain that you are not in a state of psychogenic fugue and have been undertaking these activities and simply not recollecting them?

Contact your landlord about your concerns and remind him that it is your right, enshrined in law, to quiet enjoyment of the accommodation and the landlord must provide reasonable notice of any visits and only undertake them if permission from yourself is given.
    It is a door lock. I certainly do not want to change the door locks for fear that I mgiht be asked to change it back again and be billed for it. No, I am not crazy and I can certainly recall what I do everyday.

I guess most landlords have OCD - obsessed with receiving rent and acting against tenants who frustrate the resolution of repairs that they have requested.

Follow the advice posted on the Shelter website for reporting, evidence and repairs

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-4074.cfm

and harassment

http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-3192.cfm

Have you signed an inventory for the flat and do you have a copy? The reason why I ask is that, in the event of unfair deductions from your deposit, it strengthens your position (though, of course, small claims court action is a last resort and very time-consuming).

Just think how frustrated he would be if you actually cleaned your flat !!!!

Methinks someone is having a laugh at our expense!!!!!!