LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Wednesday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extractor Fans

Default Extractor Fans

Does anyone know what the legal situation with extractor fans is?

I ask as I have an open plan kitchen/living room and am wondering whether there should be an extractor fan in this room.

There also isn't one present in the bathroom which is surprising.

Does the bathroom have a window? If so, it does not need an extractor fan. If you experience ventilation problems then by all means fit an extractor and make sure that there is adequate heating.

No the bathroom doesn't have a window. Does that mean there needs to be an extractor fan installed?

Well, there is no law for the scenario you mention. However if you want to avoid complaints from tenants and potential damage then make sure the bathroom is adequately ventilated and heated - whatever that takes (eg any combination of extractor fan, air brick, radiator, electric bar heater, opening the door)

Out of interest, was your property a one bedroom flat with separate kitchen, but been "developed" into a two bedroom flat with integrated living room and kitchen? Hate that trend.

I am the tenant so unsure of the flat's appearance before moving in.

I have had many issues with the landlord and the propert and am trying to make a list of responable repairs.

The bathroom steams up and I was unsure whether the landlord needed to have a fan in their or not. We have a heater thou.

thanks for your help

Red face

Oops!

I now associate you with the rather long posts.

Quote Originally Posted by daniellepace19 View Post
    Does anyone know what the legal situation with extractor fans is?

I ask as I have an open plan kitchen/living room and am wondering whether there should be an extractor fan in this room.

There also isn't one present in the bathroom which is surprising.
    This is a Building Regulations issue... in a new build, or in an older property where there is change of room use where a room becomes a bathroom or kitchen, then in both cases an extractor fan would be required by law. Nothing to do with whether the property is rented or not.

I don't know off the top of my head when the rule came in, but it certainly isn't retrospective.

How would I find out if this building has undergone a room change?

right now I can't even get my Landlord's name and address!

Quote Originally Posted by daniellepace19 View Post
    No the bathroom doesn't have a window. Does that mean there needs to be an extractor fan installed?

Yes!! If a bathroom has no window then it must have either 1) mechanical extraction or 2) If it is in a block of flats a communal ventilation system.If it is a refurb or new build then either 1 or 2 is a legal requirement under the Building Act(1984) which incorparates the Building Regs.In answer to one of the post's wither it is retrospective or not apparently it is.
    Disclaimer:I have over 30 years experience in housing(both social and private) as an EHO and Building Surveyor.I am also a certified expert witness having spent the last 15years working in housing litigation.The advice I give is from experience in working for various Local Authorities and how the law is interpretated.Housing Law is a minefield and is continually being amended if in any doubt you should consult a solicitor or someone of equal legal standing.

Thank you very much for your help