LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Thursday

Default blacklist for landlords?

I have been asked to ask for advice?
    Freeholder of 2flats finds out that leasholder of flat 1 has been renting it out to tenants without permission from Freeholder.
    Freeholder lives upstairs and has got on very well with the tenants over the years.The Freeholder is outraged at the way the Leaseholder treats her tenants and wondered if there was such a thing as an organisation that registers problem LL?

No, just as there is no reliable register of bad tenants. It would be too open to abuse by malicious parties.
    How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by shelly67 View Post
    I have been asked to ask for advice?
    Freeholder of 2flats finds out that leasholder of flat 1 has been renting it out to tenants without permission from Freeholder.
    Freeholder lives upstairs and has got on very well with the tenants over the years.The Freeholder is outraged at the way the Leaseholder treats her tenants and wondered if there was such a thing as an organisation that registers problem LL?
    You might like to look at this http://www.landlordreferencing.co.uk which enables you to register all past tenants good or bad.

If the leaseholder hasn't obtained the freeholder's consent to sublet, why doesn't the freeholder take action against the leaseholder for the breach?

Assuming the property is in England/Wales, the freeholder could contact the Tenancy Relations Officer and/or Environmental Health Officer at the local council (depending on the type of ill-treatment the subtenants are experiencing). The council has enforcement powers against private landlords who don't comply with their legal obligations (e.g. to remedy disrepair, not to unlawfully harass a tenant, etc).

Thankyou good people.
    The freeholder as far as i know has got a solicitor involved because the Leaseholder did not get permission.I will tell the FH about the tenants relations officer,however they didnt do much for me other than tell me to get the police involved.Ill also give her the EHO number.
    Thanks again.

What exactly are your concerns about this landlord/leaseholder?

westminster....our concerns- we as tenants are getting our concerns addressed by a solicitor as they are quite complexed ie;suffered harrassment,disrepair,verbal abuse and no deposit back.The LL/LH also treated the previous tenants in the same manner and the ones before.None of them got their deposits back.The FH keeps in contact with us all.
    The FH- their concerns-the LH is renting the flat without saying that part of the garden is upstairs,so all tenants think that they have the whole garden-as we thought.
    Also the LL hasnt paid any maintenance or service charges etc to the FH in 6yrs.So their solicitor will be dealing with that.Also the FH is very unhappy in the disrespectful way that the LL treats the tenants and FH.
    Im not worried about our deposit as it is safe in the Dps and we have evidence to say we left the flat in good order.But the LL gets very nasty and aggressive if she doesnt get her way.She kicks the floor and spits!