LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Tuesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Converting a house into flats- what things to consider?

I have been speaking with my builder about the above and he suggests (and is probably right!) that there are loads and loads of regs involved i.e. sound proofing, fire doors etc when converting.

Can you please let me know all the things to consider when converting i.e. new gas meters (*2), electricity meters (*2), sound proofing, fire doors, etc in order to pass building regs. If they vary amongst councils, I am in the Bristol area...

Also, would I be granted planning? A couple of other houses in the area appear to be doing this..

Also, if you could give me any indication of cost, that would also be really helpful.

I appreciate your help. Thank you kindly,

Quote Originally Posted by gunther1 View Post
    I have been speaking with my builder about the above and he suggests (and is probably right!) that there are loads and loads of regs involved i.e. sound proofing, fire doors etc when converting.

Can you please let me know all the things to consider when converting i.e. new gas meters (*2), electricity meters (*2), sound proofing, fire doors, etc in order to pass building regs. If they vary amongst councils, I am in the Bristol area...

Also, would I be granted planning? A couple of other houses in the area appear to be doing this..

Also, if you could give me any indication of cost, that would also be really helpful.

I appreciate your help. Thank you kindly,
    we have just done it! Well actually we're still doing it 10 months down the line. It has cost us around £120,000.00 so far and we have a builder who cut his costs to the bone because he is a friend. The other thing which may affect whether planning permission is granted is a/ whether you council have a limit on the number of conversions in each road and b/ whether you can provide off street parking of at least one space per flat as many councils won't grant permission unless you can.

Other than that you will find it is a much bigger job then you expect because as you say the building regs are very complex and require you to do much more than splitting a house into 2 or 3 flats. You also have to get the flats tested for the passage of sound, this is done by acoustic engineeres to assess how sound tavels, not only between your flats but neigbouring properties. We have been quoted all sorts of prices up to £1500.00 for these tests but thy have to be done as the council will require certificates and if they fail you may have to take remedial wction which could be very costly. We have a Victorian house and none of the original windows met the currrent regs so that has cost us a fortune. Just getting the utilities split was astronomical. It cost more than £3000.00 just to get the new metres and stuff done. You need to look very carefully at everything. our builder originally estimated around £65,000 before it was actually costed out in detail and eventually quoted 85,000.00 but with everything it is already £120,000.00.

good luck whatever you decide

Hi

Has anyone worked the opposite way, where you convert two flats within a victiran house into one house?

Thanks

You need to speak with a Professional for advice not a Tradesman.

Planning Consent, Building Regulations, Party Wall Awards, additionaly utility provisions, drafting of leases, establishing Freehold ownership.

Planning is most likely to be simple.
    Compliance with the Building Regs will be a ball ache. Use the Full Plans Submission route not the Notice route as this will look better in the conveyencing.
    Party Wall matters should be easy because they are.
    The leases and freeholder ownership arrangements you'll need to speak to a lawer about.
    Dealing with the utility suppliers is a huge ball ache. EDF, for example, don't seem to believe that new connections to the grid are ever made - well that's what the 'New Connections' department told me. Then there's water and gas to fumble through as well.

A competant Professional - Architect, Architectural Technician, Chartered Building Surveyor, Draughtsman - will be able to tlak through with you everything that is relevant to your project.

As this is your first project I'd recomend you get all the design information together, get Planning Consent, Apply to Building Control and start any Party Wall stuff before speaking to a builder for quotes.

Default converting a house into flats

I would like to know what the rules are regarding converting a house into two seperate dwellings without trying to get seperate leases or freeholds, but to just convert and rent out as two dwellings, eventualy, if needs be, convert back to a single dwelling. I would like to invest some money in a terrace house without a mortgage and just alter it to two seperate self contained flats .

Does anyone know if the rules are the same regarding sound proofing and the like when there is no intention of trying to sell as individual flats.

You'll need Planning Consent, Building Control Approval, possibly Party Wall Awards for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by sq1 View Post
    Hi

Has anyone worked the opposite way, where you convert two flats within a victiran house into one house?

Thanks
    A victiran house???

A good pointer is 'has anyone else done this in the street' and therefore set a precedent? Go to the planning office and look at the file for that conversion. You can get loads of free ideas that way and also learn of objections and what the planners are looking for. You can even get photocopies of plans etc. sometimes for free.

Building regulations are difficult,passage of sound is a difficult area that leads to a complex ceiling/floor above construction. That you only really know is successful after you have paid out £1500 or so per pair of flats for the test ,as every conversion is slightly different. Fire regs are easier but still costly. And as previously advised utilities are costly too,but you don't contact your electricity provider, you contact the distribution company.Party wall is easy.
    For fire regulations ideas just visualise the bottom flat well ablaze and think how the people above will safely leave the building without outside assistance.

Default house into flats

Quote Originally Posted by mk1fan View Post
    You'll need Planning Consent, Building Control Approval, possibly Party Wall Awards for starters.
    What is the party wall awards all about. Where are fire doors needed. If it was possible to just block off part of the downstairs and fit two front doors, one before the stairs for upstairs and one into the room from a comunal hall, fit kitchens and bathrooms to both floors, Gas to one flat and split the electric via card meters or something then just rent out as two dwellings, is there a problem. I have been told by Lincoln Council that once this has been done more than a year without permission, there is little they can do about it and as long as you are not trying to sell on then thats that. Your comments greatly received. In my area there has been many houses converted into flats this way and have been flats for many years without problem. Your comments greatly received