LandlordZONE

Nov, 2014

Saturday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do we realy need an EPC?

Hi Folks. I am new here and will be honest have joined to ask a question. Having said that I have learned a lot already from reading other questions and replies so will probably hang around.

We have an apartment joined to our home, it was originally a granny annex. for the past three years we have been letting it as a holiday apartment. I have been told we should have an EPC, but am unable to confirm if we really need one.

The apartment consists of 4 rooms and a hallway, and is attached to and accessible internally from our home, we share the use of a laundry room and back entrance hall. The heating and hot water is supplied by a gas boiler in our home. The electricity all comes via our meter. The weekly letting fee includes all heating and electricity. It is only let on a weekly basis to holidaymaker.

Do we need an EPC?

Mike

A quick googling told me that EPCs are required for holiday lets since 1st April this year if property is rented out for more than 4 months combined in any 12 months period.

A couple of years ago, I had to get an EPC for a derelict house I was selling to be converted into flats. How mad is that?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesknight0 View Post
    A couple of years ago, I had to get an EPC for a derelict house I was selling to be converted into flats. How mad is that?
    Assuming the building was being sold as one entity, I suppose they couldn't make a special case for yours on the strength that it was 'being sold to be converted'. There are regulations about the sale of property which are far more bonkers, to be fair!

And don't get me started on the fees some solicitors charge for sending out short, standard conveyancing letters along the lines of 'We write to advise that we cannot proceed with your purchase just yet as we await instructions from the vendor's solicitors. Yours, etc.' Nice money if you can get it!

For the sake of £50 I'd just get one done anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1fan View Post
    For the sake of £50 I'd just get one done anyway.
    Yes I know, but I keep thinking of all the other things I would much rather spend 50 quid on. I am sure most of our guests would also much prefer 50 quids worth of extra comfort or convenience than a meaningless certificate.

Mike

I do not know anyone who has found a certificate of any value, does anyone care what the certificate says. All the certificates I have looked at, always have exclusions due to the surveyor not being able to to check inside cavities etc. But the Government gets the VAT so they think it is a good thing.

It's tax allowable and lasts for 10 years. That's around £3 - £5 a year once you take into account the tax. Why does everyone get so worked up about paying £5 a year to comply with the law?

Also note the EPC certificate needs to be displayed on your website if you have one.

Will be interesting to see how Trading Standards enforce this new regulation when it becomes a requirement at the end of the month.

Since epc were introduced - i have NOT ONCE been asked to produce a copy for anyone at any time - complete and utter waste of time.....
    Until guvmint decide that a min level must be attained ......which won't be too far away methinks..
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill