LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Wednesday

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

And another thought.... don't be tempted to use cheap plastic WHBs in vanity units as they break in no time, ceramic ones are fine.

Back to wall WCs look great but are a real pain to fit or fix leaks. I'm not fitting any more as they will probably go out of fashion and they're not worth the extra bother.

Aquapanel type walls are great, I don't think they look quite as good as tiles but they save days of cleaning during changeovers and I haven't had any leak yet.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    And another thought.... don't be tempted to use cheap plastic WHBs in vanity units as they break in no time, ceramic ones are fine.

Back to wall WCs look great but are a real pain to fit or fix leaks. I'm not fitting any more as they will probably go out of fashion and they're not worth the extra bother.

Aquapanel type walls are great, I don't think they look quite as good as tiles but they save days of cleaning during changeovers and I haven't had any leak yet.
    I can't see back to wall pans going out of style but if tenants stand on them it does disrupt the seals I find.
    I do rate aquapanels - they use them on ships of all types and less grout means less sooty mould. Steam cleaining is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    £2427, albeit for a full shower ! Ouch :-).

The best I have seen is something like this at £285:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800-x-760...-/330747771143

But I have not looked really hard yet.
    Updating.

It is looking like one of the above with *this* type of tray, which I can bring it at under £300 supplied to site with plumbing bits. Exact products yet to be selected. These particular ones are British, too, I think.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

That's the screen I have been using, I've had no problems with it, and it's very easy to fit.
    It comes with 2 silicone rubber gaskets that hold the glass in the frame. Tip: A midgies of silocone grease makes these much easier to fit.

Tray looks good too, I like the deeper shower area, I haven't seen these as an option, but may use them from now on.

Grouse

I found the tray by going back to the manufacturer after talking to the distributer.

It weighs 73kg, though.

ML

Yes but if you use those plastic trays a heavy person will go throught it usually at the plughole end - disaster - done this one before. I always buy the 'stone' type now and set on good base. Base on base so to speak.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Quote Originally Posted by midlandslandlord View Post
    I found the tray by going back to the manufacturer after talking to the distributer.

It weighs 73kg, though.
    Have you seen these babies: http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html

I fitted one at home a couple of years ago, and I have to say i'm a massive fan. It was very easy to fit, being so light, and it's extremely robust. We have two showers at home, both of which I fitted; one is a conventional, incredibly heavy stone-resin one bedded in mortar, and which nearly broke my back, and the other is this Coram job. Although lightweight, the Coram one is totally rigid, and feels no different to stand in than the solid stone resin one - it's definitely not to be confused with those horrible plastic trays like Interlaken's, that flex and your feet go through if you're not careful. They also have an upstand around the edge which helps with sealing.

Another idea to Tenant-proof Houses with older Combi Boilers...

I've recently found out that you can get Filling Loops with an integral Pressure Relief Valve (PRV). The PRV stops the pressure in the system being raised over a preset limit thus preventing accidental over-pressurisation.

The Altecnic Robofil is one such device.

Another combi boiler tip-

I have had a leaking pressure vessel diagnosed in a 7 year old Potterton combi and new plumber offered to change existing PV which meant boiler coming of the wall and complete dismantle (£350) or mount a new one under the sink and by-passing old unit (£250).

I have gone for this as apart from saving money I like things where I/tenants can see if there are leaks.

Anyone else had this done?

Default The Spotlight Problem

A personal one, but I can

My superswish (effectively a 4 year old newbuild) new house has (as far as I have counted) 80+ halogen type spotlights. A compromise worth making, even though some are innaccessible and we have a couple of high ceilings. None, however - kaloo-kalay - are over the stairwell.

In the past my experience is that for about 15-20 normal GU** spotlights I will need to replace one every month or so.

What is the best strategy for this? Are we now at a point where LED spotlights are suitably powerful if I buy a box of 50 or 100?

Recommendations welcome.

ML