LandlordZONE

29

Jul, 2014

Tuesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Insuring mixed-use building (businesses/flats)

    I am posting this as a reply as it seems relevant. However, if this should really be a new thread, please tell me and I shall re-post it.

    I own the lease on a flat within a building in Norfolk. The extended Ground Floor is Commercial and the other three floors Residential - 10 flats. Each of the leases has about 15 years to run. Unfortunately it seems Residential takes up less than 75% so RTM is not possible.

    The lease specifies that each of the flats is responsible for 10% of the Buildings Insurance cost of "The Block", where "The Block" is defined as the upper three floors only.

    The Insurance premium for the Block is around £4000 - being around £1.90+tax per £1000 (which seems high) on a sum insured of just over £2 million. The Buildings Declared Value is £1,575,000, so the Sum Insured is 30% higher (which seems just about acceptable from what I read). Although I recognise that the Buildings Declared Value will not be the same as the Market Value, each of the flats sells at less than £60k - meaning the whole "Block" would sell at less than £600k. The Buildings Declared Value is therefore almost three times the Market Value, which seems very strange.

    It seems to be that the Rebuilding Cost is excessive and compounded by the 30% uplift to Sum Insured, and the high premium per £1000, we leaseholders are paying far too much.

    A few related questions:

    1) Does it sound like I have a reasonable case?

    2) If I do have a case, how should I go about challenging it?

    3) If I challenge it, I will presumably need to show alternative quotes. How do I obtain these as I do not have authority to enter the flats apart from my own?

    4) How is it possible to obtain a "rebuilding" cost for just the top three floors of a four-story building?

    The Head-Leaseholder and Managing Agent are part of the Regis.Pier Management Group, so we cannot expect any cooperation!


    Many thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye
    Posts
    14,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickyV View Post
    I am posting this as a reply as it seems relevant. However, if this should really be a new thread, please tell me and I shall re-post it.

    I own the lease on a flat within a building in Norfolk. The extended Ground Floor is Commercial and the other three floors Residential - 10 flats. Each of the leases has about 15 years to run. Unfortunately it seems Residential takes up less than 75% so RTM is not possible.

    The lease specifies that each of the flats is responsible for 10% of the Buildings Insurance cost of "The Block", where "The Block" is defined as the upper three floors only.

    The Insurance premium for the Block is around £4000 - being around £1.90+tax per £1000 (which seems high) on a sum insured of just over £2 million. The Buildings Declared Value is £1,575,000, so the Sum Insured is 30% higher (which seems just about acceptable from what I read). Although I recognise that the Buildings Declared Value will not be the same as the Market Value, each of the flats sells at less than £60k - meaning the whole "Block" would sell at less than £600k. The Buildings Declared Value is therefore almost three times the Market Value, which seems very strange.

    It seems to be that the Rebuilding Cost is excessive and compounded by the 30% uplift to Sum Insured, and the high premium per £1000, we leaseholders are paying far too much.

    A few related questions:

    1) Does it sound like I have a reasonable case?

    2) If I do have a case, how should I go about challenging it?

    3) If I challenge it, I will presumably need to show alternative quotes. How do I obtain these as I do not have authority to enter the flats apart from my own?

    4) How is it possible to obtain a "rebuilding" cost for just the top three floors of a four-story building?

    The Head-Leaseholder and Managing Agent are part of the Regis.Pier Management Group, so we cannot expect any cooperation!


    Many thanks
    Market value is irrelvant to the sum insured especially with such short leases.

    What were the original length of the leases for the flats?

    Unless the leases are the very few that are exempt see above, I would form a recognised tenants association and exercise the right to appoint a surveyor or have a management audit, to form the basis to either arbitrate ( ha ha ) or challenge these at the LVT.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

  3. #3

    Default

    Sorry. I have just re-read my post and see my fat fingers missed a zero The leases have 150 years left to run, not 15!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye
    Posts
    14,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MickyV View Post
    Sorry. I have just re-read my post and see my fat fingers missed a zero The leases have 150 years left to run, not 15!
    OK not immune to that myself! Keyboards are one size and no good for a former props hands....

    Then the TRA is the best option to organise.
    Its worth explorining if the head lease is only of the flats and the layout appropriate, as RTM may still be possible. The Surveyor can advise you on that

    http://www.rpts.gov.uk/pubs_and_form...et%205_TA5.pdf TRAs

    http://www.lease-advice.org/publicat...nt.asp?item=24 Surveyor/Audit
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    39,411

    Default

    'TRA'? Is that meant to be 'RTA', 'RTM', or what else?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye
    Posts
    14,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    'TRA'? Is that meant to be 'RTA', 'RTM', or what else?
    Acronym poisoning again!

    RTA recognised tenants association RTA residents and tenants association TRA Tenants and Residents Association

    The latter two are used where "renters",freehold house owners in mixed schemes, even long boat owners, are included in the association, but do not partake for the purposes of say "section 20" consultation or the audit above.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

  7. #7

    Default

    Thank you both.

    I shall try to set up an RTA (I think that's the one!) as you suggest. But as the flats are mostly sublet, that might take some time.

    In the meantime, are you able to answer the two remaining questions:

    1) Does it sound like I have a reasonable case?

    4) How is it possible to obtain a "rebuilding" cost for just the top three floors of a four-story building?

    Also, if I cannot get the RTA together in a timely way, is there anything I can do on my own?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Foundation trench for New Shed@ Ham on Rye
    Posts
    14,480

    Default

    1. Hard to say as there are so many factors that can only be assessed without knowledge of the building policy and claims history. It's easy to say the rate should be x, however that relies on assumptions that may not apply.

    4 Yes it is, but it takes detailed knowldege and an examination of the lease as to who is responsible for repairing what, the obligations to each other if there is more than one party, and who then insures and on what basis.

    As an individual you can still challenge the charges by taking advice locally on these matters. I don't think that you will get very far in discussion or mediation asking for a copy of the schedule and policy, when the last valuation was carried out to ensure cover is correct ( ideally every 3- 5 years), and an explanation of the insurance cover relative to the obligations to insure the flats, the commercial units and any common areas eg parking paving etc.

    But having done so it helps the case to apply to the LVT as they are reasonable questions. Professional advice will add detial and evidence to that argument
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers. More ramblings atleaseholdpropertymanager.blogspot.com

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    39,411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
    Acronym poisoning again!

    RTA recognised tenants association RTA residents and tenants association TRA Tenants and Residents Association

    The latter two are used where "renters",freehold house owners in mixed schemes, even long boat owners, are included in the association, but do not partake for the purposes of say "section 20" consultation or the audit above.
    OK. But even setting-up an RTA does not change leaseholders' status/obligations. Only RTM/RTE will do that.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    1. How big are the flats which you say are currently valued 60K each ? How many sq ft inside each unit ?

    2. Write a letter to the managing agent or the one which issues the demand to request

    a "summary of the building insurance cover",
    a declaration of the amount of commission take under the policy
    details of past 3 years claims record.
    and copy of the alternative competitive quotes at last renewal.

    and send ithis request by registered post ( to confirm the request letter date.) Its a criminal offence if they do not reply within 30 days with summary of insured cover.

    3. Then you can use the "summary of insured cover" to obtain competitive quotations from other brokers . You should find the charge rate per 1000 pds of insured building cover is lower than 1.90 + VAT.

    4. Measure the area of the building base ( footprint area ) in sq ft and multiply by 4 floors to give total floor area and multiply by 100pds per sq ft re-building cost to get a rough figure for rebuilding costs and compare with the "declared Building value figure".

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-09-2010, 11:07 AM
  2. Building has three flats + shop: valuation of f/r or new lease?
    By emerald in forum Long Leasehold Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-08-2010, 17:18 PM
  3. Enfranchisement/lease extensions: mixed houses/flats
    By pedro5000 in forum Long Leasehold Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-01-2010, 21:13 PM
  4. Insuring oneself against risks as Managing Agent (flats)
    By Harry in forum Insurance Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-07-2007, 09:14 AM
  5. Building insurance of a Block of Flats
    By soghomon in forum Insurance Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 08:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •