LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Access to gas and electricity meters

hello. I seem to remember being informed that, by law, a landlord must allow tenants access to their electricity and gas meters. does anyone know if this is true and if possible could they point me towards the releavant legislation?

for background, this is my problem: we have recieved extortionate gas and electricity bills based on an estimates, therefore I need to take a reading to check the bills. However, the meters are in a part of the building that we cannot access. In fact I don't know where they are. I have asked several times over the last month for the letting agents to either provide me with access to the meters so I can read them myself or for them to take a reading but they ignore me. I now have two large red utility bills. The bills are in my name :|

Hi

You might want to look at the thread http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...read.php?t=293

thanks, but that's not the same issue, is it?
    we pay all the utility bills ourselves, it is not being resold to us, the letting agents are obstructing access to the meters and I want to know whether they are allowed to do this.

there may be a issue with getting access in terms of getting a key from a management agent or something. What is your concern, do you feel the bill does not reflect the meter reading, if so you could ask the electricity company to take a formal reading.

there are 10 flats in the building and I don't know where the meters are - definitely not in any part of the building that we can access. Therefore, when the utility people come round to read the meters, they knock on our door for the meter and we can't give them access to them.
    I have two extortionate red bills based on estimated readings and I want to read the meter as I suspect they may not be correct. The letting agents are ignoring my requests for them to take a reading or to provide access to the meters. they don't even tell me where they are despite repeated requests. I would like to be able to tell them that I, as the bill payer and named on the gas and electricity account, have a right to access them, but I just don't know.

Who manages the block, you may well have a local company who manages the common areas. Have a look at the notice boards and see if you can find a company name on any fire notices and the like. You could then contact them direct and ask for access to the meters.

the letting agents

Oh dear, OK, this is what I would do, not saying its right but anyway:

1. Ring them and ask them to make a appointment to meet you at the property to take a meter reading. Obtain a date and a name of the person you are to meet.

2. If they refuse or fail to turn up, check to see if they are members of a registered association like the NAEA/ARLA/RICS and tell the agents you will make a formal complaint against them if they persist in denying you access to the meter.

3. Be strong and dont let them fob you off, you are the consumer and have evry right to check consumption. It all probably down to inefficiency on thier part rather than anything else.

Actually, thinking about it, I would approach them in thier capacity as the management agents of the block and thier responsibilty to all residents. Not sure who regulates management companies though.

thanks, that sounds like sensible advice