LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Saturday

Default BTL purchase- what's needed to comply with new Regs?

Hi,

Im new to this forum and need a little help...

Basicly i currently have one property which i rent out and ive just found a second which i would like to place an offer on.

Its a studio flat in the loft space of a old building and is in a bad state, the questions i have are firstly if i was to remove all of the plaster board and re board/skim the whole flat will i need to double board it to comply with current fire regulations?

Secondly if i was to do this will the whole flat then have to be bought up to current building regs ie electrics, fire regs etc etc?

Basically the flat was converted a long time ago and needs and complete refurbishment, i wont be altering the size or structure but just worryed that if i do what im intending ill be opening a can of worms!

Many thanks in advance for you advice.

Are you planning to do the work yourself?

As I recall and I may be wrong but the only areas they need double lining in 13mm plaster board (30 mins fire protection) are stairs cases and hall ways that directly lead to the exit.

Where you are simply dry lining 9mm will do fine, don't forget that you may need to add additional insulation if the existing wall has no cavity or has no existing insulation i.e. old stone or brick walls.

Most renewal of wiring needs to done by a "competent person" these days particularly bathroom, kitchen and meter boards.

Modern regs also require a built in fire alarm but that is not a major issue, finally if the property is supplied with gas, all work needs to done by a registered builder.

Personally, if you a competent joiner then do the dry lining yourself but leave the electrical and plumbing work to a professional, they will do it in a fraction of the time.

Thanks for the reply,

im a carpenter by trade but i work as a trainee building contractor.

Im confident to do most of the work but as you said id get a sparky and plumber in to do all of that side.

The thing im stuck on is that the flat obviously complied with all building regs when it was converted god knows how many years ago so it will be fine to rent as it is (obviously with the annual electrical/gas tests) but im just worred that buy renovating it ill need to make everything comply with todays regs.

I guess the architect we work with would perhaps know or would you advice calling a building inspector?

Thanks again

Even if you don't renovate it, you'l still have to comply with present-day increased strictness of statutory requirements.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    Even if you don't renovate it, you'l still have to comply with present-day increased strictness of statutory requirements.
    Really? how can this work if regulations are changing all the time, if this was the case then a new bock of flats would have to be completely rebuilt every 10 years or something?

I really no very little about flats and renting them out but surely they have to comply to regs when there built not any new regs? This would mean for example no old cottage could be rented because of stair regulations or lack of insulation?

Most new statutory rules and regulations expressly do not apply retroactively: only to cases where a property is now to be built/rebuilt/altered/substantially modified. Obviously, you'll need to familiarise yourself with those that apply to your particular circumstances.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).