LandlordZONE

Sep, 2014

Tuesday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Deposit Advice..?

Hi,

I have issues with tenants and a deposit query:

Tenants have removed matching hardwearing neutral carpets, fit throughout house (1 yr old at tenancy start), with CHEAP RED carpets without my prior knowledge. - these are so cheap that they are already worn on the stairs and WILL have to be replaced by me.

Tenants have lit fire in garden close to sofit board, which has melted, and ashes have burnt paint on neighbours car.

Tenants have been abusive to (elderly) neighbours, and generated up to 5 complaints in three years.

Tenants have let a water leak in bathroom go unreported for 6 MONTHS -full damage unknown, visually Plasterboard, laminate, ceiling and bath pannel require attention, although floorboards may be damaged too.

Tenants have removed three furn trees (6-7ft) from front garden without asking.

Tenants have left rubish in front and rear garden for long periods causing other residents in the street to arrange removal themselves.

Based on this i have formally warned in writing that the contract is in jepordy and the deposit of £600, is significantly below the cost of restoration of the property.

i have asked the tenant to come back to me in writing with their sugestions as to how to resolove.

(this was not answered)

I have now served a Section 21 (no reason given -but obvious) .

(at this point, tenants new b/f called to request why i will be retaining deposit, and advise me that the tenant could withold rent and remain in property to cause trouble if i dont agree a return)

At this stage i have only advised of issues, and two weeks later served section21.

i have not commited to deposit, as beleive this should be a two way street. (deposit is held by me (lawfully) as three yr tenancy)

I have suggested putting onto a scheme for mediation - this was declined.
    (i didn't make a full itinery on comencement)

Any advice welcome!

You are not going to like this... but I would be giving it back! You cannot prove the state of the property at the start of the tenancy therefore the tenants could have a good case against you iin court.
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

An inventory or schedule of condition is not absolutely necessary to prove what was in the property or its condition at the start of the tenancy. They certainly help, but other evidence can be submitted.

We may be able to help if you could answer the following:
    1. When did tenancy start?
    2. Is tenancy an AST in England or Wales?
    3. Is annual rent less than £25k?
    4. What itinery did you make (written, photos, video) when tenant(s) checked-in?
    The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this website. For more information on your query use the 'Search' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found here.

I don't think OP is going to come back on this!

The original poster was the Tenant in his post a few days ago!
    You are not going to like this... but I would be giving it back! You cannot prove the state of the property at the start of the tenancy therefore the tenants could have a good case against you iin court
    Maybe we gave him exactly the info he wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    The original poster was the Tenant in his post a few days ago! Maybe we gave him exactly the info he wanted
    Or maybe he found the love of his life and ran off to Honolulu. Or got swine flu and couldn't face LLZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkerz View Post
    The original poster was the Tenant in his post a few days ago!
    Although in the past we have had members posting the same story from different angles in the hope of receiving different answers, this one does sounds like a different scenario though... no reason why tenants can't themselves be landlords (eg I have some tenants who now let out what was their own home in another part of the country).

Quote Originally Posted by Lawcruncher View Post
    An inventory or schedule of condition is not absolutely necessary to prove what was in the property or its condition at the start of the tenancy. They certainly help, but other evidence can be submitted.
    Photo's of the property were taken by me and by an agent. (agent not used, but photo's remain on file)

Quote Originally Posted by tom999 View Post
    We may be able to help if you could answer the following:
    1. When did tenancy start?
    2. Is tenancy an AST in England or Wales?
    3. Is annual rent less than £25k?
    4. What itinery did you make (written, photos, video) when tenant(s) checked-in?
    AST started March 2007.
    England
    Yes £595 pcm
    Photo's only (taken by me and by agent -agent was for sale that didn't continue)
    No specifics mentioned,