LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Wednesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question No hot water- writing letter of complaint to L

As of about 4pm today i have had no hot water lucky my heating is still working as i have a combi boiler, im just wondering how long he can make me wait? i mean i have a 5month old baby.

He always seems to call the same person who when our cooker broke kept saying for 3 days that he would be round that day to fix it and took over a month from when i was told to come and check the boiler over when we first moved in.

Just wondering where i stand on this.

Do an LZ search about s.11 of the Landloerd and Tenant Act 1985, re L's duty to provide hot water and heating.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Quote Originally Posted by mummytoone View Post
    As of about 4pm today i have had no hot water lucky my heating is still working as i have a combi boiler, im just wondering how long he can make me wait? i mean i have a 5month old baby.

He always seems to call the same person who when our cooker broke kept saying for 3 days that he would be round that day to fix it and took over a month from when i was told to come and check the boiler over when we first moved in.

Just wondering where i stand on this.
    Does your hot water not come from the combi boiler? If not, how is it heated, exactly?

As you have a small baby, i think the LL should be acting promptly to sort this out for you. Keep badgering him for a date when a tradesperson will attend to it. If he hasn't responded within a week, advise him you will organise one yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

In the meantime, are you able to boil water using an electric kettle or a pan on a stove?

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    Does your hot water not come from the combi boiler? If not, how is it heated, exactly?

As you have a small baby, i think the LL should be acting promptly to sort this out for you. Keep badgering him for a date when a tradesperson will attend to it. If he hasn't responded within a week, advise him you will organise one yourself and deduct the cost from the rent.

In the meantime, are you able to boil water using an electric kettle or a pan on a stove?
    my hot water does come though the combi boiler.

I can use the kettle, not the pans though as they all got used for a big dinner so are currently at a family members being washed up with the rest of our washing up due to the fact the sink does not hold water and escapes around the plug to be able to fill up fast enough with kettle water to wash up in.

according to my LL he has given my mobile number even though the house is in my partners name and its my partner who rang him to a guy who normally does his repairs but i wont hold my breath since this guy takes ages to fix anything infact my LL told me to keep the boiler off altogether till someone comes out to fix the hot water leaving me and a 5month old with no heating. with no guarantee when someone will be out to fix it and all i no is his a mate of the LL

We had this problem with a combi boiler once (no hot water but heating worked) and it took literally 5 mins to fix - it just needed a very small replacement part. You really need an engineer who installs boilers, not just any gas fitter. Send the LL a written request for this then proceed as I advised.

Almost certainly a failed diverter valve. A small piece, and jolly expensive! Cost him a couple of hundred or more, fitted.

Try buying a new plug for your sink. 99p.

Default writing letter to LL

after nobody coming out or ringing out my boiler i am currently writing a letter to the LL.

Would it be ok to inform him of other items that need fixing in the same letter or should i send different ones?

Such as leaking gutter, black mold around windows/toilet.. 2nd bedroom window does not shut fully and i can fit my finger in the cap between.

And that i would alsy like a electric cupboard key as he did not provide one for us to get into it to take meter readings?

yes, write to the LL and list all the things that need doing,the gas? boiler should be checked annually and the landlord should give you a copy of the safety certificate.meter keys are very inexpensive and easy to obtain.I don't think the landlord has to provide one.

Two separate threads by same member have been merged here. Do not cause problems by starting continuation threads; use the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Telometer View Post

Try buying a new plug for your sink. 99p.
    Or a plastic bowl!! Can even bath baby in the bowl or sink... have done many a time with my son!
    GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!