LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Friday

Default TV licensing-communal areas and other rooms

I understand that a separate TV licence is required for each separate AST/room in an HMO.

However, where the the bathroom, kitchen and living room are shared and tennants already pay (indirectly) for a licence (with there being a TV in the kitchen and living room) it becomes practical to simply not watch BBC in tennants own rooms and simply use the communal TVs. There is enough on the other channels and iplayer to watch tv in their own rooms, espcially worth it when you cannot afford an extra £140 license fee.

Is this reasonable?

Why would it be simply not to watch BBC?

You do know you pay the TV licence for receiving a signal (not dvd, video, etc) through the TV aerial. Irrespective of what you watch.

Quote Originally Posted by James Holmes View Post
    I understand that a separate TV licence is required for each separate AST/room in an HMO.

However, where the the bathroom, kitchen and living room are shared and tennants already pay (indirectly) for a licence (with there being a TV in the kitchen and living room) it becomes practical to simply not watch BBC in tennants own rooms and simply use the communal TVs. There is enough on the other channels and iplayer to watch tv in their own rooms, espcially worth it when you cannot afford an extra £140 license fee.

Is this reasonable?
    I do not think the TV licensing authority discriminates between people who watch BBC and people who watch the other channels. If they have any TV receiving equipment in their rooms they need a licence each, I'm afraid.

It's their risk, so you shouldnt need to worry
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php

Is this reasonable?

Yes and if you drive a RED car then you don have to pay road tax
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Is this reasonable?
    If they use only one communal TV, one TV licence is sufficient. If each has TV in own room, each needs own licence.
    Anyway, is a TV licence needed for i-player use alone?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

My original question was a bit silly as I was working from old knowledge.

It's true as you say, each individual residence (different AST) needs their own licence if watching live (or near live) TV in their rooms. This includes TV stream near live through the internet.

However, you can watch iplayer on your PC without the need for a licence.

So the tennants can simply watch TV in the communial rooms and if they decide to watch in their own rooms they can deal with it...

Thanks again everyone!