LandlordZONE

Dec, 2014

Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where do I find a private landlord?

this mythical creature my friends assure me exist! I've tried gumtree and just get people phishing, not properties for my town advertised on there ever.
    Also tried facebook and local papers.

It looks like the LA's in our town dominate the market. We are trying to find a private landlord because our credit isn't perfect (no CCJ's but when my husband lost his job 3 years ago just for a few months it mucked everything up, but all is well now), our guarantor cannot commit for a few months as he has to give notice to his bank first which isn't in time for when we have to leave our current home. I've been told a private LL could be more flexible and understanding over blips in our history whereas the LA are all "computer says no".
    I also want to avoid the stress of being turned down for the credit check at the very last minute. With 3 children I need to plan ahead more than this!

tia

Which town are you looking in?
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Quote Originally Posted by casserole View Post
    this mythical creature my friends assure me exist! I've tried gumtree and just get people phishing, not properties for my town advertised on there ever.
    Also tried facebook and local papers.

It looks like the LA's in our town dominate the market. We are trying to find a private landlord because our credit isn't perfect (no CCJ's but when my husband lost his job 3 years ago just for a few months it mucked everything up, but all is well now), our guarantor cannot commit for a few months as he has to give notice to his bank first which isn't in time for when we have to leave our current home. I've been told a private LL could be more flexible and understanding over blips in our history whereas the LA are all "computer says no".
    I also want to avoid the stress of being turned down for the credit check at the very last minute. With 3 children I need to plan ahead more than this!

tia
    You could look -and advertise yourself - in newsagents' windows, or wherever community notices/ads are displayed. You could put a private ad in your local paper under 'Accommodation Wanted'. Your staffroom noticeboard at work? People often know someone who owns a house which they've tried to sell, but can't and will rent, etc.

I have tried advertising in the local paper, got nothing, advertised online and got people trying to con me!
    I thought perhaps there was some website or some secret list I didn't know about!
    I'm looking in South Woodham Ferrers.

Default desparately seeking private landlord- woodham ferris

there is an outfit called the national Landlords association who may offer a list of properties to let on behalf of members. Strangely enough and perhaps unusually but we go on a detailed employers ref(s) requiring salary info, length of service, advice as to whether permanent or temporary; previous landlords refs where available, and, increasingly a six weeks' rent deposit. These credit rating agencies are far from universally used; I suspect though that they are the lazy way out for a lot of letting agencies!

No, I'd never heard of it either. It's in/near Chelmsford, apparently. See http://uk.ask.com/web?q=%22South+Woo...=196&o=0&l=dir
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Thank you! I had a look, hardly anything on there in my county let alone town! Properties to let do seem to be thin on the ground even rightmove is looking bare.
    I like the way you judge a tenant better. I don't like the way credit checking lumps everyone together as being bad, people get in trouble sometimes through no fault of their own and it may never happen again (like illness or redundancy). We've now taken out insurance to cover our rent too.
    Our last idea is to ask the husband's employer to be guarantor.

nice town, woodham. had friends who lived there for a while, before moving to battlesbridge.
    You could try the housing options department of the council. They have a list of private landlords, and you just might be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by havensRus View Post
    nice town, woodham. had friends who lived there for a while, before moving to battlesbridge.
    You could try the housing options department of the council. They have a list of private landlords, and you just might be lucky.

I've been here 26 years now. It is a nice safe clean town (although I don't drive yet so that is a bit of a pain living here). If it weren't for the fact my children are settled at school I'd happily move to Chelmsford where there are far more properties to choose from to rent.
    I've already asked the council for their private renting letting list, not one single LL on there, just a list of LAs.

Lightbulb

Have you tried searching for nearby larger towns and see what spins out from that? For example, the website Spareroom if you search "Basildon" in addition to those results there are links to nearby towns with properties available to rent. There are advanced options to search up to a 40 mile radius.