LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Saturday

Default management agents

The management company for the block of flats containing my one has recently sent me charges including audit deficits from 2003 and 2004. I would like to know if there is any sort of cutoff point beyond which they cannot do this. How many years down the line can they be looking back and deciding that we should have paid more money.

I would appreciate any input regarding this - they seem to charge a huge amount more than any work that is apparent!!

thank you
    Linda

At the very least you must ask for:
    - copies of invoices addressed to the landlord/management
    - proof of payment
    - proof that they have not charged for this previously
    These are your rights as a lessee.

Try not to dwell on the timing of the demand - you should be more concerned about whether the landlord actually incurred these costs.

If however these costs have been incurred as a result of your fellow lessees not paying their share of the service charges, then you should be encouraging the landlord to chase for all outstanding payments. (Boy, you better hope it's not as a result of your neighbours simply not paying up!)
    Last edited by Poppy; 20-04-2006 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarified sentence written in blue

Default more on management

Thank you for your response, Poppy. When I ask for a breakdown, I get their own breakdown of expenses, but have compased a letter asking for invoices etc. I have another question. The management company has separated the water charges out and made it a separate payment to their bulk payment - where it used to be a part of the breakdown. The fees have climbed - almost double in 4 years, plus they have separated these charges out - so their fees have really climbed more than it appears. Can they do this sort of thing? Can they just keep charging more and more money? What control do we have? I guess it is back to having them prove everything - I just know they are going to throw a pile of numbers at me and probably find more charges!!!!!! help
    many thanks

Linda,
    I would suggest you take a look at the leasehold advisory service website http://www.lease-advice.org/newintro.htm where many of your qeustions are answered.
    NOTE: Steven Palmer BSc (Hons) MRICS MBEng is an official LandlordZONE Topic Expert and a Director of Davisons Palmer Lim http://www.davisons.biz Any advice given by Steven in this Forum is of a general nature only and should not be acted upon without first obtaining advice specific to your problem/situation from a professional.

Copies of invoices/purchase orders addressed to the landlord/management is key. If they cannot produce proof - they cannot charge for it, unless you agree to pay for it or it is specifically catered for in the lease. Always rely on the terms of the lease.