LandlordZONE

Jul, 2014

Tuesday

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Time limits for reading new posts/editing existing posts

Quite often, when I am browsing through LLZ, I have to break off what I'm doing in order to deal with something else in another window. If I'm more than a few minutes then, when I come back, I find all the up-dated threads have been marked as 'read'. This is so since the new servers were put online. Is there any way to stop this happening please?
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    Quite often, when I am browsing through LLZ, I have to break off what I'm doing in order to deal with something else in another window. If I'm more than a few minutes then, when I come back, I find all the up-dated threads have been marked as 'read'. This is so since the new servers were put online. Is there any way to stop this happening please?
    It happens even if one's not even started to browse. I think that it's solely time-linked. A similar problem affects attempts to amend one's own post after over about twenty minutes from tme of posting.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    It happens even if one's not even started to browse. I think that it's solely time-linked. A similar problem affects attempts to amend one's own post after over about twenty minutes from tme of posting.
    I can understand the limit on editing Jeffrey, It could make subsequent post's look daft. I can't see a reason for the other limit though.

Quote Originally Posted by jta View Post
    I can understand the limit on editing Jeffrey, It could make subsequent post's look daft. I can't see a reason for the other limit though.
    OK, that makes sense. So let it be that members can edit own posts by:
    a. any amendments (until next member's post arrives on the thread); or
    b. merely typographical corrections (no time limit).
    AND let LZ make an automatic footnote (non-discretionary, even if no 'Reason for editing' is supplied) re date/time of amendment/correction.
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

That sounds a good compromise to me as well!

I have e-mailed (to Editor) a link to this thread, so that he might consider and comment upon it.

Any chance of a response to this, Editor?

WillB Guest

OK, I've changed the forum settings so that your unread posts should be more accurate now. Let us know in this thread if you notice the improvement.

As for the editing of posts and allowing for spelling and grammar corrections, but not full post edits, it's not possible. There's no way to set up an automatic system that can distinguish between the two (as far as I'm aware), so the editing rules will stay the same.

So what are new settings, please? How long is allowed for a member to edit/delete after posting?

Also:
    a. Forum User Guide posts aren't visible on the "New Posts" display; and
    b. pre-today threads all appear bold (as if containing still-unread posts) with this rubric:
    The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts.;