LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Wednesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mould problems in our flat

Hi,
    I just have a little problem. I'm currenty having a dispute with our land lady over a few different things and its going to small claims court. One of the problems in the mould that was growing in the flat.
    Before we moved in we were told there was a little bit of mould with the last tennants that had be solved and on the inventory it states there is a little bit of mould in the corner of the shower. Over the 6months of staying there we got really bad mould growing in one bathroom and both bedrooms and a little in the lounge. We've lost a lot of clothes, cupboards and a matress because of mould growing on them so we complained.
    The got a surveyor in to have a look at the mould and he put it down to condensation.
    I was wondering if I post a couple of pics on here of the mould would you be able to tell me if it was down to condensation or not? Also because there was mould in the flat before and looking on an article on this website it says 'In addition to this, with lifestyle causes, once the mould growth has been allowed to take hold at some point in the history of the property, say with a tenant who lived with inadequate heating and ventilation, and produced excessive amounts of moisture (steam) through cooking, washing, internal drying etc, it can reoccur again and again.' do we stand a chance in the small claims court?

Cheers in advanced, Matt

Mould is almost always caused by lack of ventilation, have you got a dehumidifier?, do you use trickle ventilators on your windows? Do you dry clothes indoors? You have to allow the moisture to get out or you will always get mould.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Quote Originally Posted by matt19849 View Post
    Hi,
    I just have a little problem. I'm currenty having a dispute with our land lady over a few different things and its going to small claims court. One of the problems in the mould that was growing in the flat.
    Before we moved in we were told there was a little bit of mould with the last tennants that had be solved and on the inventory it states there is a little bit of mould in the corner of the shower. Over the 6months of staying there we got really bad mould growing in one bathroom and both bedrooms and a little in the lounge. We've lost a lot of clothes, cupboards and a matress because of mould growing on them so we complained.
    The got a surveyor in to have a look at the mould and he put it down to condensation.
    I was wondering if I post a couple of pics on here of the mould would you be able to tell me if it was down to condensation or not? Also because there was mould in the flat before and looking on an article on this website it says 'In addition to this, with lifestyle causes, once the mould growth has been allowed to take hold at some point in the history of the property, say with a tenant who lived with inadequate heating and ventilation, and produced excessive amounts of moisture (steam) through cooking, washing, internal drying etc, it can reoccur again and again.' do we stand a chance in the small claims court?

Cheers in advanced, Matt

What is your claim for?

Hi, we only ever dried our clothes in the lounge or on the roof terrace. When we showered etc we always had the windows open.
    At first we didnt have keys for the windows and the estate agents told us it was to expensive to get the windowsreplaced as they all had unique keys - we spoke to our next door neighbour and borrowed her keys they worked fine.
    We always ventilated the place as best as possible. We didnt have a dehumidifier because of the costs of running one and at the time we only had a month or two left of the tennancy.
    The claims are firstly for all the hassel we have had with the place - the costs involved in replacing our personal property because of the mould etc and the estate agents not being willing to help with any problems like not having hot water for 3 weeks etc.And secondly the other claim is because the estate agents didnt put our deposit in any tennancy scheme which we have been told to by our solicitor that its a criminal offence and were legally entitled to 3x the amount of the deposit back.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by matt19849 View Post
    Hi, we only ever dried our clothes in the lounge or on the roof terrace. When we showered etc we always had the windows open.
    At first we didnt have keys for the windows and the estate agents told us it was to expensive to get the windowsreplaced as they all had unique keys - we spoke to our next door neighbour and borrowed her keys they worked fine.
    We always ventilated the place as best as possible. We didnt have a dehumidifier because of the costs of running one and at the time we only had a month or two left of the tennancy.
    The claims are firstly for all the hassel we have had with the place - the costs involved in replacing our personal property because of the mould etc and the estate agents not being willing to help with any problems like not having hot water for 3 weeks etc.And secondly the other claim is because the estate agents didnt put our deposit in any tennancy scheme which we have been told to by our solicitor that its a criminal offence and were legally entitled to 3x the amount of the deposit back.

Cheers
    The deposit protection issue is by far the most serious for your LL and I would certainly pursue it, unless you have had your deposit returned in full already. Have you?

I wouldn't hold your breath over being reimbursed for the mould issue - it is notoriously hard to porve it was the LL's fault, as most mould is casued by condensation due to Ts lifestyle.

They returned our deposit as soon as the found out we were going to small claims court but we wrote them a letter saying we were returning the as the court case was still ongoing and posted the cheques back to them via recored mail.
    We did ask them not to send them out but they havnt listened for the last 6months of our tennacy.

We have been told that the previous tennants wrecked the flat and they had to get the whole place re-decorated etc so they could have caused the mould then - looking at some of the mould that was appearing it looked like it was coming through the paint as if it had been painted over.

Default Mould and condensation

Hi Matt

I could be wrong but the problem is almost always condensation that causes the mould, and if the mould/mildew isn't removed then the spores migrate and the contamination area is increased.

My first tenant was apoplectic because of problems which she claimed were caused by damp. As we'd lived in the flat for over 20 years before renting it out, I was sceptical about this because there had never been any problems of that nature. Initially and with their permission, I visited and used Dettox Mould & Mildew Remover to scrub down the affected area, so that I could check everywhere thoroughly and then left the spray bottle with them.

To show goodwill, I next asked a surveyor friend for advice; then I called in my builder; lastly I got the managing agent to check both the interior and the external elevation of the property. All said the same thing: condensation, lack of ventilation.

So I offered to get a formal survey done but said that if the survey stated the cause to be condensation, then I would expect my tenant to bear the cost; the alternative was for the tenant to commission a survey which the I as landlord would pay for if the cause was not due to lifestyle. I also explained the need for ventilation, and added that we had always kept a window slightly open in the bedroom at night; apparently the tenant and her OH kept both the bedroom door and the window closed overnight (and the problem was confined to the bedroom).

One of my friends pointed out the bleedin' obvious to me: it wasn't the sleeping that was creating the steamy windows.

HTH and I hope you get the deposit issues sorted.

I agree totally with that it could well be down to bad ventilation the only problem I have is we always ventilated the place really well. The place just always felt damp.
    I'm just not 100% convinced that the previous tennant was that great at ventilation and caused the mould then the land lady just painted over it.

After moving out within about 3weeks our property was back up for rent - bare in mind that there was mould all over the walls in two bedrooms and in one bathroom and the lounge, also on the carpets. They way I see it is how can she be renting the place already surely they would have to get the whole place sorted before renting again i.e remove all traces of mould re-paint and poss even re-carpet the flat. On top of this on the surveyors report he did state there was slight penetration of moisture coming through on what used to be the old chimney in the lounge (apprently not enough to cause mould though) so this would have to be sorted too.

This is why im a bit on edge and think it could have been mould there before and not sorted properly.

Matt,

You don't happen to live in Streatham do you? Because this is exactly the same problem that our neighbours had. Word for word.

Afraid not - from Bournemouth nice to know im not alone though
    What have your neighbours done?