LandlordZONE

Oct, 2014

Thursday

Default End of tenancy - deposit return timescale?

Hi there - hoping you can help an ex-tenant wanting a quick bit of advice (if you don't mind me intruding here)!

I was renting a flat on an AST which finished recently - had been renting a number of years and getting the tenancy renewed each time it was up (seemed slightly like a bit of a money maker to pay out for this each year but the place was nice and the landlord was always fab so worth it in my mind). Deposit was put into TDPS when the law changed regarding this - and I was sent the details of the deposit etc.

When we left the property the letting agents wrote to advise us the landlord was seeking a small deduction from the deposit for cleaning - I rang to advise I had no quibbles with that at all and to pass a few niggling issues onto the landlord that he might want to get sorted out before he got a new set of tenants in (mainly the fact the place was having condensation problems he might want looking at while it was empty and easier to get access) - they advised me they'd contact the deposit protection to release the deposit and the TDPS would be in touch concerning that. I've made sure I have up to date email addresses etc lodged there so I'm contactable - but I've heard nothing back from either side yet, and emails to the letting agent have gone unanswered for the best part of a week now. Calling up gets a trainee who takes my number and promises a ringback - but nothing further in the way of joy.

I hate not knowing where I stand when it looks like I might have to push for something, so I'm just wondering what the timescale is for a deposit to be returned when there is no disagreement between the parties about deductions to be taken out? I've had no issues with the agent/landlord through the whole tenancy and would have happily carried on renting the property but for the fact that we needed more room - they just seem to be dragging their feet handing this deposit back somewhat.

You should have been provided with a certificate with a reference number on. If you go to the website you should be able to view the details of your deposit. If not, give them a call directly.

Quote Originally Posted by dizziblonde View Post
    Hi there - hoping you can help an ex-tenant wanting a quick bit of advice (if you don't mind me intruding here)!

I was renting a flat on an AST which finished recently - had been renting a number of years and getting the tenancy renewed each time it was up (seemed slightly like a bit of a money maker to pay out for this each year but the place was nice and the landlord was always fab so worth it in my mind). Deposit was put into TDPS when the law changed regarding this - and I was sent the details of the deposit etc.

When we left the property the letting agents wrote to advise us the landlord was seeking a small deduction from the deposit for cleaning - I rang to advise I had no quibbles with that at all and to pass a few niggling issues onto the landlord that he might want to get sorted out before he got a new set of tenants in (mainly the fact the place was having condensation problems he might want looking at while it was empty and easier to get access) - they advised me they'd contact the deposit protection to release the deposit and the TDPS would be in touch concerning that. I've made sure I have up to date email addresses etc lodged there so I'm contactable - but I've heard nothing back from either side yet, and emails to the letting agent have gone unanswered for the best part of a week now. Calling up gets a trainee who takes my number and promises a ringback - but nothing further in the way of joy.

I hate not knowing where I stand when it looks like I might have to push for something, so I'm just wondering what the timescale is for a deposit to be returned when there is no disagreement between the parties about deductions to be taken out? I've had no issues with the agent/landlord through the whole tenancy and would have happily carried on renting the property but for the fact that we needed more room - they just seem to be dragging their feet handing this deposit back somewhat.
    If deductions are undisputed, then 10 days is the normal time scale for return of deposits. If agent or LL is dragging their feet, you have a right to put pressure on them.

I can see the deposit sitting on their website showing as active - just not sure what happens next. Letting agent's letter said the TDPS would be in touch with me so make sure my contact details are up to date (they are) - but I've heard nothing since and the letting agent isn't returning my calls or emails so I'm unsure how to proceed with things there. I'm definitely not quibbling over a £50 cleaning deduction (I could but I'm a firm believer in goodwill and I like and respect the landlord having had many chats with him over the years) - just need the rest of it back!