LandlordZONE

Sep, 2014

Tuesday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Talking

Thank you one and all

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_f View Post
    I'm afraid it is and have proof.
    Your first post did not mention agents; in response to OP's question which appeared to be about 'Landlords and property-related profesisonals', you said 'Most don't bother' (post 2).

You cannot know this and I doubt very much whether reliable research exists as to whether agents do saftey checks correctly or not. The people who conduct such research usually have a vested interest in producing a certain set of results, one way or another.

Think about it : the vast majority of risks in a rented property are the same as they would be in a private home. The ones which may be a matter of life and death, are covered by statutory regulations. In cases where the risk is increased because the property is being shared by a number of unrelated tenants, HMO licence regulations exist to ensure those properties are as safe as possible.

It just needs a measure of common sense and the bottom line is to ask oneself (and honestly answer) the question : would I be happy for my family to live in this property, from a saftey/security point of view?

If you get this answer wrong, the tenants will soon tell you.

And dont forget the legionella risk assessment; to which I am certain 95% of agents do not do as they dont mention it in their landlord packs (whereas they do for gas safety etc)
    All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:
    http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/search.php

Quote Originally Posted by Bel View Post
    And dont forget the legionella risk assessment; to which I am certain 95% of agents do not do as they dont mention it in their landlord packs (whereas they do for gas safety etc)
    Oh no not another one . I may also need a risk assessnment for boiling the kettle!

well you might burn your fingers......
    Mrs Jones
    I am not an expert - my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as fact!!

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Oh no not another one . I may also need a risk assessnment for boiling the kettle!
    You started it !

And don't forget the 'dead mice under the floorboards' check.

And the anthrax spore check if any part of the construction involves horsehair (e.g. old lath and plaster).

And the psitticosis check if anyone keeps pigeons within one mile of the property.

And the Bubonic Plague check if there has ever been rat activity in or near the property.

And the 'keel over and die' check if students have been using the fridge.

Default Risk assessments and claims

My tiny contribution. When I was working as a claims manager across a range of many firms of solicitors, if it was discovered, as it sometimes was, that a timely risk assessment had been conducted by the defendant prior to an incident and fair and reasonable steps taken to mitigate any perceived danger, then the claim in every such case was simply dropped. "Such reasonable steps" were often simply to include those in the vicinity of such a hazard that it might exist and have them sign to acknowledge this fact!

Quote Originally Posted by mind the gap View Post
    And don't forget the 'dead mice under the floorboards' check.

Please check if mice were actually previous tenant's pets as you would need to contact T to give them a chance to reclaim before disposal.

In the case of any doubt, I am serious about the legionaires disease risk assessment. Details on LLzone.

Please check if mice were actually previous tenant's pets as you would need to contact T to give them a chance to reclaim before disposal.

In the case of any doubt, I am serious about the legionaires disease risk assessment. Details on LLzone.
    Absolutely. In a civilised society every dead mouse deserves a decent burial.

And Bel is dead right about the Legionnaire's check, too.