LandlordZONE

Sep, 2014

Friday

Thread: Return of bond

Default Return of bond

I paid a £500 bond in January 2007, I am moving out on Friday, presuming my landlord finds no problems (which i don't think he will) is there any set timescale i can expect my bond back within, also if he tries to withhold it or part of it, is there anyone i can turn to for mediation?

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bexilou View Post
    I paid a £500 bond in January 2007, I am moving out on Friday, presuming my landlord finds no problems (which i don't think he will) is there any set timescale i can expect my bond back within, also if he tries to withhold it or part of it, is there anyone i can turn to for mediation?

Many Thanks
    Attend the final inspection and agree the checkout inventory with your landlord or his agent. Assuming there are no deductions to be made (or even if there are), it should not take more than two weeks to return your deposit.

If your Ll drags his feet over this (as some do, hoping - incredibly - that you'll somehow forget about it!), you can send him a stiff letter remind ing him that he owes you the money and would he please return it urgently.

If he doesn't, write another letter giving him 7 more days after which you file a claim online for deposit plus costs. That ususally focuses the mind wonderfully.

thanks for that, although there was no inventory done when i moved in, so i guess its just my word against his, i have never rented before and did not think of things like inventorys, i see a whole new set of problems possible arrising!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bexilou View Post
    thanks for that, although there was no inventory done when i moved in, so i guess its just my word against his, i have never rented before and did not think of things like inventorys, i see a whole new set of problems possible arrising!!!!
    No inventory = No proof = No lawful deductions

Seriously, if he tries to deduct anything, even if he produces 'invoices' for 'repairs'/'cleaning', etc., contest it. It is quite straightforward to file a claim online and even if it goes to court, which I doubt (LL will probably realise that with no inventory, he's on a losing wicket), you should get the whole deposit back, plus court expenses.

Good luck - tell us how you get on.

thanks seb and mind the gap, i feel loads better now, i know the house is actually in a better state then it was originaly due to the decorating i have doen, but you hear all the horror stories about not getting bond back, feel a lot better about it now though.
    Thanks and i will let you know how i get on