LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buying house to convert into two 2-bed flats

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a four bed semi detached property and am thinking of converting it to two, two bedroom flats.

The queries I have are:

1) Do I need off road parking for the property; for the council to allow me a 'change of use' for the house?

2) If the Council do not allow the change of use. What would happen if I convert the house with all building regulations including smoke alarms, fire safety, sound insulation etc covered, but not notify the Council?;

3) Also i have no intention of selling the converted flats. I am only doing it for the increase in the rental income. Do you think I could convert it and just rent them out as two flats?

4) Without the Councils permission would the utilities companies install a seperate gas and electric meter for the extra flat?

Your replies would really be appreciated.

Best regards BUILDABLE

Quote Originally Posted by buildable View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am in the process of buying a four bed semi detached property and am thinking of converting it to two, two bedroom flats.

The queries I have are:

1) Do I need off road parking for the property; for the council to allow me a 'change of use' for the house?

2) If the Council do not allow the change of use. What would happen if I convert the house with all building regulations including smoke alarms, fire safety, sound insulation etc covered, but not notify the Council?;

3) Also i have no intention of selling the converted flats. I am only doing it for the increase in the rental income. Do you think I could convert it and just rent them out as two flats?

4) Without the Councils permission would the utilities companies install a seperate gas and electric meter for the extra flat?

Best regards BUILDABLE
    1. Depends on your council, but probably, yes.
    2. You risk prosecution, a huge fine and being required to put the property back to its original state, i.e., a four bedroomed house.
    3)No, you would be breaking the law because you would not have planning permission. What you plan to do with the proposed flats is irrelevant.
    4)Don't know, but that's a deck chairs and Titanic question.

DON'T DO IT! YOU MUST BE EXTREMELY NAIVE, OR PLAIN MAD, TO ASSUME YOU CAN CONVERT A HOUSE INTO TWO FLATS WITHOUT PLANNING PERMISSION.

Why don't you want to go through the usual channels? There are reasons for these laws, you know!

Quote Originally Posted by buildable View Post
    Hi everyone,

The queries I have are:

Best regards BUILDABLE
    1. Possibly buit maybe not ..depend on area, planning policy and axisting parking ..also intended use of prop.
    2. Why bother? ...you will get more income by letting on a room by room basis without the massive extra expense (and risk should there be a "problem" )
    3.Yes you could but at huge risk if caught (see above)
    4.Yes ..nothing to do with council you can as many "supplies " as you like but check out cost .....as this will put you right off the idea ............(use seperate sub meter for lecky £12! to purchase ) but you cannot diy gas supply EVER!!

Have a rethink or ring planning office !!

The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Rodent1 View Post
    1. Possibly buit maybe not ..depend on area, planning policy and axisting parking ..also intended use of prop.
    2. Why bother? ...you will get more income by letting on a room by room basis without the massive extra expense (and risk should there be a "problem" )
    3.Yes you could but at huge risk if caught (see above)
    4.Yes ..nothing to do with council you can as many "supplies " as you like but check out cost .....as this will put you right off the idea ............(use seperate sub meter for lecky £12! to purchase ) but you cannot diy gas supply EVER!!

Have a rethink or ring planning office !!

The Rodent
    I thought it was not a criminal offence to do something without planning?

If this is the case then there is still the risk of planning finding out and then issuing an enforcement notice which means it would have to be reinstated or else.

Quote Originally Posted by ah84 View Post

If this is the case then there is still the risk of planning finding out and then issuing an enforcement notice which means it would have to be reinstated or else.
    If no p/p is obtained, it will also of course be a breach of:
    a. Mortgage Conditions, if mortgaged; and
    b. lease, if house is already leasehold at time of purchase.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Do you think this was a 'plant' to test our honesty?!

Quote Originally Posted by ah84 View Post

=huge risk (see above )!!!!!!!

The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

Whilst I agree with all the comments made,dependent on site location,logistics of house orientation to convert etc.etc. then it may be worth the risk in my opinion.

Many years ago,I extended a 3 bed semi which then created 4 one bed flats.The property was registered as a HMO and yearly inspections carried out by an E.Health officer to make sure the building still conformed.

Although the property was considered as one dwelling,by the turn of keys four separate units were achieved.......i.e. ground floor common lobby,to the left and right, an entrance to each ground floor unit.Up the stairs and the same.

From the offset I knew exactly what I wanted to achieve and after about 8 years applied for retrospective planning (you probably know this but has to be at least 4 years) which was granted.I had to prove the individual units had been in place for this period of time and the evidence being provided by E.Health Dept.

Of course the combined revenue of 4 flats was far greater than what could be achieved from one large house but equally important the uplift in value as individual units.

These flats still form part of my portfolio and if I could find a property with the same potential I would give serious consideration to repeat.

Things I would consider:

Find single tenants who are eligible for H.Benefit who are preferably non drivers(for at least 4 years anyway).
    Couples row and the least disturbance to neighbours the better.Benefit claimants are less likely to drive, with parking problems potentially coming to the council's attention.

What I can't understand,my local council's claim form for H.Benefit has tick boxes for the type of accommodation which is being provided with one asking "a flat within a house"!!!!

So, if we all agree a breach of planning law if a conversion is carried out without permission,surely this question of the type of property is in itself considering a self contained unit within a dwelling as lawful, or have I missed something?

I was tempted to ask the LA but prefer to keep a low profile!!

Regards..............Bill

Default Creating more kitchen's in semi detached house

Hello

Recently i converted my 3 bed semi detached house to 5 bed room house with side and rear extensions with all planning permissions and having 3 shower and toilets.

But we our family divided so wants to create 3 separate kitchens within the property so cooking will separate virtual having separate units

but our Gas,Electriciy,water and council tax will be paid by our Head of the family so NO separate bills to that.

we are not renting any one,

Does the council have any objects for this

Any advice please.........

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by usemobile View Post
    Hello

Recently i converted my 3 bed semi detached house to 5 bed room house with side and rear extensions with all planning permissions and having 3 shower and toilets.

But we our family divided so wants to create 3 separate kitchens within the property so cooking will separate virtual having separate units

but our Gas,Electriciy,water and council tax will be paid by our Head of the family so NO separate bills to that.

we are not renting any one,

Does the council have any objects for this

Any advice please.........

Keith

Are you mad?

It will make your house virtually unsaleable and cost you a fortune.

Much better and cheaper to have a rota for the use of one, well-equipped kitchen.