LandlordZONE

Aug, 2014

Thursday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are fire extinguishers required in let flat (not an HMO)?

Do I require fire extinguishers and fire blankets in a property that is not a HMO.

They are standard one and two bed self contained apartments.

Are there any requirements of this nature?

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tracymarsh23 View Post
    Do I require fire extinguishers and fire blankets in a property that is not a HMO.

They are standard one and two bed self contained apartments.

Are there any requirements of this nature?

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.
    It is not a requirement. I just read a report that it is not a good idea to put fire extinguishers in rental flats unless the tenants have been trained on what kind of extinguisher should be used on what kind of fire. Fire blankets are a good idea however.
    ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

Despite the elf'n'safety paranoiacs, I'd prefer a fire extinguisher (albeit no-one's trained to use it) rather than being burnt to a crisp.

Thank you for the help

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    Despite the elf'n'safety paranoiacs, I'd prefer a fire extinguisher (albeit no-one's trained to use it) rather than being burnt to a crisp.
    Except that if they do use it, and use it wrongly (which can be dangerous), or if for some reason the extinguisher fails to work the LL could face liability, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    Except that if they do use it, and use it wrongly (which can be dangerous), or if for some reason the extinguisher fails to work the LL could face liability, surely.
    Please explain 'use it wrongly'?

I think he means something along the lines of, if you use a water based extinguisher on an electrical fire this could be extremely dangerous in terms of causing an electrical shock hazard, which could be a greater hazard than the fire itself!!
    Last edited by bandit; 21-08-2008 at 18:26 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks - I see what you mean!

If in doubt just check the fire extinguisher through the window and then jump out through the hole!

The up to date view is that the priority in the event of a fire is to GET OUT and QUICK .....so much so that S Wales fire officer has recommended that extinquishers are no longer a requirenment in an HMO ....i can confirm that oon recent HMO and Private sector housing visits this has been the case ........

There is a short video around somewhere of a research team trying to put out a small waste paper basket fire with a water extinquisher ,,,which he failed to do.............
    He actually knocked the bin over which set fire to other papers in the "office set" ....

and made the whole situation far worse ..........

THANK GOD i didn't have a water ext in the flat above my shop last week when the T from the flat upstairs rang me to ask if i had one ...because her chip pan was on fire ...
    NO NON OO ONONONONONONo ONOO OO NO....I ran out the back and up the stairs b4 the donut put water on it ....

She had only picked up the saucepan (on fire ..no less!!) and carried it out onto the stairs ..........she threw fire blanket onto it ......which did smother it ti a degree ...i grabbed a towel and soaked it in water and put it over the top which finished it off!

Fire brigade arrived .......gave T a rollocking for picking up flaming saucepan then checked out smoke alarms to make sure they were working (which of course they were !!)

If you have never seen what a drop ...and i mean "drop" of water does to a fat fire then .......look here :
    http://www3.fire.org.nz/cms.php?page=5088

This is reason enough NOT to have them where idiots can se them

The Rodent
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill