LandlordZONE

Apr, 2014

Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UK Citizen card as proof of ID

Hi,
    I have a tenant ready to move into my property. I have had many problems in the past with my last tenant, and silly me never did proper checks, resulting in trashing the house. It's cost me hundreds of pounds and he's sought by the police at moment.
    My new tenant gave me a australian passport, which had expired 5 years ago, so I asked her for another one. She's given me a UK citizen card, but I am not sure if I can accept that as proof of ID. Please could anyone advise me on that?
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rafael.serrano View Post
    Hi,
    I have a tenant ready to move into my property. I have had many problems in the past with my last tenant, and silly me never did proper checks, resulting in trashing the house. It's cost me hundreds of pounds and he's sought by the police at moment.
    My new tenant gave me a australian passport, which had expired 5 years ago, so I asked her for another one. She's given me a UK citizen card, but I am not sure if I can accept that as proof of ID. Please could anyone advise me on that?
    Many thanks
    Er, what IS a "UK citizen card"? Who issues it, does it show a photograph of holder, and does it contain wording denying that it's proof of ID?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...ad.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link) or use Topic Expert page.

What is she doing with an Australian passport that expired 5 years ago? What passport is she using now? Or is she claiming she is never going to travel again.

How about driver's license?
    An original letter from a Government Agency.
    An original bill from a utility company or council tax bill as proof of previous address.

If she only gives you copies, tell her they have to be notarised that they are copies of originals.
    ASSUME NOTHING - QUESTION EVERYTHING!

If not an original, perhaps an aboriginal?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    If not an original, perhaps an aboriginal?
    Back from a wet lunch eh?

Quote Originally Posted by rafael.serrano View Post
    Hi,
    Many thanks

Sorry, but why are you even considering someone who offers a passport which expired five years ago as proof of identity?

Default ID card

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
    Er, what IS a "UK citizen card"? Who issues it, does it show a photograph of holder, and does it contain wording denying that it's proof of ID?
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Thanks for the reply. I have checked the website www.citizencard.com and when applying for an ID citizen card they are asked to send documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificate, passport or driving licences. Also photographs are needed.
    This lady has not got a driving licence and as far as I know she doesn't have a passport renewed. She lives with her mother here, who is English, so what would you advice to ask her for if I want an evidence with a picture? I have National Insurance Card though.
    thanks

Default illegal immigrant ?

She can send birth certificates, marriage certificate, passport or driving licences to the I.D. card, but not to you ?? ( Shows how easy it is to get a none government identification by deception )

Students or tempory workers who are not British citizens could be issued with a national insurance number, so as to pay tax, get health care ( having never paid a penny towards it) etc, so a national insurance number does not prove citizenship.

Sounds like an illegal immigrant from AU. or she came over here as a student, and never returned. It transpires that illegal immigrants have more human rights than the indigenous population, so my advice is look for someone else.

If you have problems now from someone who MAY have falsified documents to get a - not to be trusted I.D. card, --- what does the future hold ?

So called I.D. cards are for firms to make money -- nothing else !!!

I have a printer and laminator, and credit card size pouches. How many fake I.D. cards do you want ???

I would not take your proposed lodger. Yours is not the only place to rent in your town, tell her she must be a U.K. citzien, and she cant prove it, so she cant rent..... before she signs, - even if she has signed, she cannot rent, and she wont sue, as she is probably not entitled to live in this country, and wont chance this being found out.

G.

Properly read this excerpt from citizencard.com rafael.serrano

CitizenCard
    Photocopy of your birth certificate, passport, driving licence, medical card etc. Please DO NOT send original documents.
    They don't require original documents? What's that all about? Did you truly read and understand this rafael.serrano?

The citizen card is NOT UK government issue.

The scheme is operated by the non-profit company CitizenCard Limited (registered as a company limited by guarantee in England and Wales No. 3669949)

My opinion is that the card is NOT a substitute for a passport.

At best, the CitizenCard is an indicator that the holder is over 18. That's all.

Suggest to this prospective tenant that they obtain an up to date passport from the Australian High Commission Passport Office and then apply again to rent your property. By which time you will have found someone more suitable.

Very good Poppy! They should also be able to get a temporary one, if they say they need it urgently. Probably will have to pay a little more, that's all.