LandlordZONE

Nov, 2014

Saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where's my lease? How do I get a clean copy?

My hard copy, originally drawn on January 20, 1984, is poorly photocopied and difficult to read in many sections. How do I get a new copy? it is titled H.M. Land Registry and gives the borough, (something not readable) number, and the property address. Is there a department and process there for doing this? How long does it take, what does it cost, and what do I need to show? or, simply, whom do I call to get the information? Just the general Land registry number?
    Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ron77 View Post
    My hard copy, originally drawn on January 20, 1984, is poorly photocopied and difficult to read in many sections. How do I get a new copy? it is titled H.M. Land Registry and gives the borough, (something not readable) number, and the property address. Is there a department and process there for doing this? How long does it take, what does it cost, and what do I need to show? or, simply, whom do I call to get the information? Just the general Land registry number?
    Many thanks.
    1. Who holds original of Lease? As that's not with you, could it be with your:
    a. solicitors; or
    b. mortgagee (lender)?

2. Lessor should have the Counterpart Lease. It may be willing to provide a copy, for a fee.

3. If 'no' to both, try HM Land Registry. If (but only if) it has a copy, it will provide an official copy to you for £10 or £20. The exact fee depends:
    a. on format of what HMLR holds (i.e. electronic or hard copy); and
    b. on format by which you request it (electronic [website], form OC2, or letter).
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Thanks for that - very correct. I am the Lessor, too, and only have the poor copy. I contacted the Land Registry and have filled out form OC2. I will send it off to the correct office shortly, with a cheque for £20...

I got mine recently from the HM Land Registry website, where I could download it for £3....

I got mine recently from the HM Land Registry website, where I could download it for £3...
    You can't download a lease of £3 - only the Registry entries or Plan. I think that only those who subscribe as solicitors etc to Land Registry Direct can down load leases and in the majority of cases they are not in a downloadable format and a hard copy is sent.

Another point that comes up is that the copy that is obtainable is an official copy which is basically a scanned version of a copy provided when the lease was first registered. In the days before photocopiers the copy supplied would have been a carbon copy which would be quite feint and would have got worse over say 40 years it was stored in the Land Registry archives - the consequent scanned version is sometimes totally unreadable. So you have to get hold of the original and send it the Registry and ask them to make a better copy!
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

How on earth does one get hold of the original Lease? who keeps it? I have a copy of the Lease, but would the Land Registry know who sent it to them, or where the original is stored?

How on earth does one get hold of the original Lease? who keeps it? I have a copy of the Lease, but would the Land Registry know who sent it to them, or where the original is stored?
    If you are the leaseholder, you must have the lease (or see paragraph 1 of my post #2)!
    If you are the freehold reversioner, this applies to the Counterpart Lease.
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

I am the Leaseholder, and co-freeholder. I simply need a newer, more legible copy of my hard copy (see my post number one!). I have written on OC2 to the Land registry for a copy, but it is undoubtedly a micro-film one, probably made from a copy, which could be as bad - or worse - than the copy I have. My question is, if this is the case, where can I find the original Lease so I can get a quality, legible copy made?
    Last edited by ron77; 20-06-2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: text

I am the Leaseholder, and co-freeholder. I simply need a newer, more legible copy of my hard copy (see my post number one!). I have written on OC2 to the Land registry for a copy, but it is undoubtedly a micro-film one, probably made from a copy, which could be as bad - or worse - than the copy I have. My question is, if this is the case, where can I find the original Lease so I can get a quality, legible copy made?
    Read (or re-read) my last post #7!

Do you have a mortgage on the leasehold title? When was this mortgage taken out and which lender was involved? If the mortgage is pre 2003 most lenders would have the lease. After that it is more variable.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.