PDA

View Full Version : BBC Offering Dispute Resolution Services

BBC Street Legal
25-02-2008, 09:14 AM
Have you fallen out with someone in a big way? Has your relationship with a friend, relative or neighbour reached the point where you’re no longer talking? Do you have an issue that’s reached stale mate which you desperately want to sort out?

The BBC is offering a unique opportunity for people to get together to sort out their problems as part of a non-broadcast pilot. Our fully trained mediator is on hand to help people bring common sense to a situation and to help everyone sort it out.

If it sounds like we could help you, please give us a call on 09015 22 33 33 or alternatively email us at streetlegal@bbc.co.uk with your name, phone number, town, and a brief summary of your situation.

Calls cost a total of 15p from a BT landline. Mobiles and other networks may be higher.

pcwilkins
25-02-2008, 09:52 AM
The BBC is offering a unique opportunity for people to get together to sort out their problems as part of a non-broadcast pilot. Our fully trained mediator is on hand to help people bring common sense to a situation and to help everyone sort it out.

Common sense? From the BBC? I think not...

Peter

Colincbayley
25-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Have you fallen out with someone in a big way? Has your relationship with a friend, relative or neighbour reached the point where you’re no longer talking? Do you have an issue that’s reached stale mate which you desperately want to sort out?

If it sounds like we could help you, please give us a call on 09015 22 33 33 or alternatively email us at streetlegal@bbc.co.uk with your name, phone number, town, and a brief summary of your situation.

Calls cost a total of 15p from a BT landline. Mobiles and other networks may be higher.

I have an issue that needs sorting out. Spamming by the BBC using licence payers money!
Any ideas on how this can be resolved?

jeffrey
25-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Almost all the 60 000 LZ posts stem from disagreements. Perhaps an entire BBC Channel should be devoted to these disputes (but who'd want to watch it?) It could be called 'BBC Five a Strife', the film rights are still available, and I want Woody Allen to play me.

pcwilkins
25-02-2008, 10:01 AM
I have an issue that needs sorting out. Spamming by the BBC using licence payers money!
Any ideas on how this can be resolved?

Don't pay your license fee in protest.

We don't have a TV, so don't pay for a licence. Over the past 3 years we must have had 10-15 nasty letters from the authority asking us to pay up or risk a fine.

Yes, I know that the letters say "please let us know if you don't have a TV" but I object to having to do that. I don't have to phone the police to tell them I don't need a gun licence; people without cars don't have to phone the DVLA to tell them they don't need a driving licence.

It's almost as if they assume that people can't possible live without TV. A bit sad, really.

But the point is that we could have got away with having a TV with no licence for the last 3 years. It won't be long before we can say it'll be cheaper to pay the £1000 fine that it would have been to pay the £130 licence fee every year...

Peter

Colincbayley
25-02-2008, 10:03 AM
It's almost as if they assume that people can't possible live without TV. A bit sad, really.

It is now classed as a sign of poverty if you do not have a TV. You can even apply for a crisis loan to buy one!!!!

Didn't know you were that poor.;)

Grange
25-02-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't have a TV either. I throw all the letters in the bin and tell the 'inspectors' to go away when they knock on the door.

As for not having a TV being a sign of poverty... well all the grotty council houses/flats near to me have a satellite dish on the outside and generally a 40" TV inside.

pcwilkins
25-02-2008, 10:14 AM
It is now classed as a sign of poverty if you do not have a TV. You can even apply for a crisis loan to buy one!!!!

Didn't know you were that poor.

In my opinion it's a sign of poverty if you have a TV. Not financial, poverty, perhaps, but common-sense-poverty :)

I don't have a TV either.

Congratulations!

I throw all the letters in the bin and tell the 'inspectors' to go away when they knock on the door.

You actually get inspectors, then? We've never seen one.

Peter

jeffrey
25-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Snap! I don't have a TV either- join the club. I feel slightly guilty at being a compulsive radio addict, unforrtunately.
The TVLC letters aren't nasty as such. They just warn of the dire penalties for cheats who use unlicensed equipment- and rightly threaten prosecution against such freeloaders.

sibec
25-02-2008, 10:47 AM
£2.60 for relatively the most reliable media broadcaster in the world, without inane consumer adverts? A bargain!

Grange
25-02-2008, 10:49 AM
The 'inspector' who came to my door was nasty, though. He told me that I had to have a licence - and I got him to put it in writing.

jeffrey
25-02-2008, 10:50 AM
£2.60 for relatively the most reliable media broadcaster in the world, without inane consumer adverts? A bargain!
I agree. Isn't it odd how the journalists sniping at whatever the BBC does, or keening over the financial problems of at least one commercial service provider which led to its closing two DAB-only stations, are employed by multimedia conglomerates that tend to own- guess what?- commercial service providers in competition with the BBC!

pcwilkins
25-02-2008, 10:59 AM

I'd rather have the £2.60, thanks!

Peter

jta
26-02-2008, 16:10 PM
Presumably the 'show' would be run along the lines of 'Judge Judy', and they'd get that Dom to twist arms, and that guy in 'Bargain Hunt' who's always mugging the camera to act? as court bailiff. Any other suggestions for characters anyone?

Colincbayley
26-02-2008, 16:57 PM
Presumably the 'show' would be run along the lines of 'Judge Judy', and they'd get that Dom to twist arms, and that guy in 'Bargain Hunt' who's always mugging the camera to act? as court bailiff. Any other suggestions for characters anyone?

Jeffrey - As the Lawyer

pcwilkins - As the Copper

PaulF
27-02-2008, 07:50 AM
If you don't want to pay your TV Licence then follow the example of the enterprising chappy who wrote to the BBC asking why they didn't follow their own charter of "balanced" reporting; he refuses to pay his licence until they give a plausible explanation and apparently he is still waiting. He has invited them to take him to court for non-payment but is still awaiting the summons after about 4 years!

Oh! And did you notice the 'phone number on the first post - it began 09....... which tells you a lot about how to make money. No thanks!

pete's properties
27-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Don't pay your license fee in protest.

We don't have a TV, so don't pay for a licence. Over the past 3 years we must have had 10-15 nasty letters from the authority asking us to pay up or risk a fine.

Yes, I know that the letters say "please let us know if you don't have a TV" but I object to having to do that. I don't have to phone the police to tell them I don't need a gun licence; people without cars don't have to phone the DVLA to tell them they don't need a driving licence.

But the point is that we could have got away with having a TV with no licence for the last 3 years. It won't be long before we can say it'll be cheaper to pay the £1000 fine that it would have been to pay the £130 licence fee every year...

Peter

Spot on!

I don't have a TV either, and one of the reasons is I also object to the way you are treated by the BBC.

When I once rang to get a licence so that I could go out and get a TV (I got rid of it again after one month) the "nice" lady said:

"Was it the TV commercials warning you to get a licence that prompted you to ring today?" I was stunned!

cheeky b******s

:mad: