PDA

View Full Version : TV aerial- must landlord fix/provide connection?

katrinahale
24-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi

I have a tenant who says I am responsible for her tv ariel, she thinks the wind has blown it about and now her reception is not good. Am I responsible ? any advise

Thanks

Katrina

Ericthelobster
24-02-2008, 12:49 PM
I have a tenant who says I am responsible for her tv ariel, she thinks the wind has blown it about and now her reception is not good. Am I responsible ?When you say "her" aerial, I'm assuming it's "your" aerial, ie that it was there when the tenant moved in? Unless the tenant had it fitted herself, then it's your responsibility to maintain it.

katrinahale
24-02-2008, 13:15 PM
Hi

So am I to understand that if an ariel is already at the property I am responsible ?

If no ariel is present do I have to provide one ?

Thanks

Katrina

Ericthelobster
24-02-2008, 14:13 PM
So am I to understand that if an ariel is already at the property I am responsible ?Basically, yes - if the tenant was provided with the facility of (eg) a TV aerial when she moved in then it's incumbent on the LL to maintain/replace it or whatever.

If no ariel is present do I have to provide one ?

I'd say not; but to be honest it's the sort of thing which most tenants would probably just assume a rented property to have, might not notice was missing until after they moved in, and then be thoroughly miffed. If you don't have an aerial and don't intend to fit one (which I'd say would be very cheapskate), then in my opinion it's something to specifically point out to the tenant before they sign up with you in order to avoid your relationship getting off to a bad start.

Try searching this forum for "aerial" (note spelling) - there's been plenty of discussion on it.

Colincbayley
24-02-2008, 14:20 PM
Also bear in mind that if you are to replace an aerial then you may as well install a digital unit as these will be required within the next 4 years anyway.

jeffrey
24-02-2008, 14:33 PM
Also bear in mind that if you are to replace an aerial then you may as well install a digital unit as these will be required within the next 4 years anyway.
Not so much "required"- there's no law compelling anyone to have a TV- but, rather, "necessary equipment" once analogue TV signals are turned off everywhere. Whitehaven was the first area changed-over, the rest of the UK is following over the next 4-5 years, and analogue radio will go off gradually after that. Get a DAB radio, too, esp. as prices are now much more reasonable.

richmabbutt
25-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Can anyone help me?
I moved into a privately rented flat 4 months ago.
The 5 flats have a communal tv aerial which only works very occassionally.
Others have given up asking the landlord to fix it/replace it and have gone with a sky dish.
I can't afford that, and don't see why I should pay extra.
The landlord says it is tenants responsibility and I hear otherwise.
Does anyone know where to find a written legal document to back this up?
Something I could take to him to prove he's responsible for it?
Yours extremely frustrated at missing the ends of programmes,
Rich.

dmc
26-02-2008, 12:39 PM
This is a common problem in new build houses - I've no problems about paying for an aerial to be fitted as a landlord - I'd rather have a happy tenant!

jeffrey
26-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Try to see the lease which L holds. This may identify who is responsible for aerials- perhaps within service charge scheme for which L, as lessee, pays service charge to freehold reversioner or management company.

tracytitchmarch
15-03-2008, 18:18 PM
our tv aerial has poor reception and we are unable to receive digital channels on our digital tv. the aerial is old and poorly maintained and in a high wind becomes loose. it is placed on a chimney stack above my daughters head (she is in an attic bedroom) we complained to LL and they sent unqualified person round to mend it disrupting further our viewing due to poor positioning. i am mostly scared that in a high wind it will fall through roof onto my daughter. complained again to LL who were on holiday and could not get any one round to mend it. how do we stand legally wise

Ericthelobster
15-03-2008, 20:04 PM
our tv aerial has poor reception and we are unable to receive digital channels on our digital tv. the aerial is old and poorly maintained and in a high wind becomes loose. it is placed on a chimney stack above my daughters head (she is in an attic bedroom) we complained to LL and they sent unqualified person round to mend it disrupting further our viewing due to poor positioning. i am mostly scared that in a high wind it will fall through roof onto my daughter. complained again to LL who were on holiday and could not get any one round to mend it. how do we stand legally wiseI think this has already been answered if you look back further in the thread...

(The point about the aerial falling through the roof and hurting your daughter
is total rubbish, unless your roof is made of soggy tissue paper!)

Ericthelobster
16-03-2008, 17:56 PM
TV is not an essential for living in a property !!!!!Whoa Simhar... that almost qualifies as being a valid comment (almost).

What happened to the usual "Yes, that's an interesting problem" ?

rachel230
23-03-2008, 22:43 PM
The flat I rent out also has problems which the tenant mentioned to me i.e. not getting a decent reception. I looked at my lease which actually said the freeholder is responsible for the outside ariel. Rather than bug him so that he has to get scaffolding (??) etc and a whole big fuss, to erect an ariel on a high building, I gave her 15 quid a month reduction to put towards SKY.