PDA

View Full Version : residential lettings

katrinahale
24-02-2008, 10:30 AM
HI

I recently had tenants sign a 6 mths agreement and pay deposit. They then took possesion of the keys. On the same night they called me very late to say that their furniture would not fit so they did not want the house any more. What would be my action and can I keep the deposit as rent until I find new tenants. The deposit is lodged with the DPS.

Thanks

Katrina

Colincbayley
24-02-2008, 11:20 AM
They have signed an AST? Therefore they are committed to the agreement, it is your choice if you want to let them out of the contract or not.

Furniture not fitting is not a valid excuse to end the tenancy.

johnboy
24-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I would tell them they have signed a legally inforcesable contract which they now have to pay and they should have checked if the furniture fitted before hand.

You can tell them you will be prepared to release them from the contract if you can find new tenants but they will be responsable for all rent up until that date and all extra costs (ad's etc). You should not be left out of pocket at all.

I just dont understand some of these tenants you tell them the legal implication of a AST and signing it and they then think they can change it or get out of it.

I have 2 tenants like that at the moment, 1 who now wants to change the rent due date 1 month into the contract and 1 month later wants out.

Another who wants out and doesnt or wont understand why they cant leave early if they give enough notice and complain when you put them straight.