PDA

View Full Version : over-fussy tenants

pete's properties
23-02-2008, 08:38 AM
Has anyone got any good advice on how to deal with over-fussy tenants?

I have ended up podding out unecessarily for a new front door recently and now they are getting to work on the gas fire.

The agent seems very good at fending them off: explaining where their responsibilities lie and our obligations end.

I don't want to put 'em off living there as I quite like 'em...but I wish they'd stop pushing for costly improvements that aren't needed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

Beeber
23-02-2008, 09:52 AM
What are their objections to the original door and current fire?

Colincbayley
23-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Has anyone got any good advice on how to deal with over-fussy tenants?

I have ended up podding out unecessarily for a new front door recently and now they are getting to work on the gas fire.

The agent seems very good at fending them off: explaining where their responsibilities lie and our obligations end.

I don't want to put 'em off living there as I quite like 'em...but I wish they'd stop pushing for costly improvements that aren't needed.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

As a LL you should 'maintain' your property and deal with repairs. However you do not have to improve the property for the tenants if you do not want to.

Your best bet is to pop round, have a cuppa with your tenants and explain this to them. Perhaps even agree to some improvements if the tenant wants to split the costs with you, your choice.

DianeB
23-02-2008, 22:51 PM
The buzz word here is compromise. If they are worried about carbon monoxide for example but the gas fire is perfectly okay, there are alarms which can be installed.

pete's properties
25-02-2008, 09:01 AM
What are their objections to the original door and current fire?

The original door needed painting, which I had arranged to do, and needed refitting, which had been done, and needed draught exclusion, which was fitted, but apparently there was still a draught.

It was a case of whether to pay to strip and re-paint the door, or pay extra for a brand new door, which was far more expensive.

The old door was in fact a very good solid door.

In the end I went for the new door despite the cost as I thought the tenants would be happy.

The fire is fine except for the ignition: this has been noted by a CORGI inspector but as the fire works he says it is ok.

:)

pete's properties
25-02-2008, 09:05 AM
The buzz word here is compromise. If they are worried about carbon monoxide for example but the gas fire is perfectly okay, there are alarms which can be installed.

Thanks Diane

I think it boils down to unreasonable insecurity on the part of the tenants, who are quite young.

I can understand where they are coming from.

They already have the alarm you mentioned, so probably the key to the whole thing is better communication between me, the agent and the tenants.

Grange
25-02-2008, 09:05 AM
I'd fix the fire. It doesn't work properly.

Give your tenants a well looked-after home and they will look after it. As it is, it sounds as though your house is falling to pieces.

pete's properties
25-02-2008, 09:11 AM
As a LL you should 'maintain' your property and deal with repairs. However you do not have to improve the property for the tenants if you do not want to.

Your best bet is to pop round, have a cuppa with your tenants and explain this to them. Perhaps even agree to some improvements if the tenant wants to split the costs with you, your choice.

Thanks, Colincbayley

There are some improvements I would like to make. You are probably right that it would help if I explained about maintenance.

There has been no money coming in yet (it's all gone on fees, improvements/repairs so far), but maybe if they suggest where they want improvements perhaps one or two could be made each year.

How about a fixed budget for non-essentail work, and let them say where they think the priorities are?

Colincbayley
25-02-2008, 09:56 AM
How about a fixed budget for non-essentail work, and let them say where they think the priorities are?

Can of worms comes to mind!

I wouldn't do that, you should maintain the property and complete and improvements that YOU want. If your tenants suggest improvements and you are happy then by all means, but I wouldn't leave them an open cheque book.

pete's properties
26-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks again Colin

You can probably tell...I am a bit inexperienced at this game.

It is very hard at first to find the balance between being a good landlord and being a mug. I suppose I have to learn as I go along