PDA

View Full Version : My landlord wants to sell; how is my tenancy affected?

lynseyperrett
20-02-2008, 21:00 PM
i hope you dont mind me posting on here as i am a tenant and not a landlord, i just thought you might all know the answers to my questions.

our landlord is sellng our property and has put a for sale sign up outside of our house. he has not yet given us notice. i was wondering what our rights were with this as he did not even tell us he had put the for sale sign up.

i have also read that we do not have to let people view the house until the last 28 days, does this mean that it shouldn't really be on the market and how can i tell the landlord that we do not have to let people into our house without causing an arguement.

i know these are pretty weird questions but was just wondering if anyone could give us any advice?

jeffrey
21-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Our landlord is sellng our property and has put a for sale sign up outside of our house. he has not yet given us notice. i was wondering what our rights were with this as he did not even tell us he had put the for sale sign up.
Your tenancy is unaffected by the "for sale" sign. L could even complete sale without ending your tenancy; new L could purchase subject to it.

Grange
21-02-2008, 10:43 AM
and how can i tell the landlord that we do not have to let people into our house

By telling him. But equally it may be in your interest to let them in.

If you don't let them in he may evict you in order to be able to sell the place. If you are lucky another landlord may buy the place and keep you on.

jodymay
21-02-2008, 11:55 AM
You are within your rights not to allow anyone inside your home if you do not want to. This is despite what it says in your tenancy agreement. You have the right to quiet enjoyment. This may cause a problem with relations between yourself and landlord. He may sell to someone who wants to keep you as tenants but on the otherhand he may sell to someone who wants it for their home, of which you will be served with a section 21 letter giving you two months notice to leave. If its not a problem letting people view your home then you can comply with the requests. However if you do mind the intrusion then you can refuse and its not unlawful.

PaulF
21-02-2008, 14:09 PM
You can insist on 24 hours written notice of any intending prospective purchasers viewing but as has already been said you don't have to comply.

bagpuss
21-02-2008, 20:19 PM
Could you talk to your LL about what his intentions are? Also, how far into your ast are you and is it a 6mth ast?

As has been said, if the LL is trying to sell with you in place as a tenant, it might be in your interest to let viewings take place. If he's intending to sell without you as a tenant, ie give you notice to quit as soon as he finds a buyer, then at least you'll know whether or not you need to look for somewhere else to live in the near future.

You don't have to let people in to view, but if you take that tack then your LL will probably just evict you earlier rather than later and get access that way.

I'd rather know what was going on.

lynseyperrett
21-02-2008, 20:19 PM
thanks for your answers.

unfortunately we know that the landlord wants to just sell property and is not looking for someone else to buy to let. he has informed us he is giving us our notice asap.

Surrey
21-02-2008, 21:19 PM
Make sure he gives you notice correctly. When you get something from him, come back on and check with us. The implication of him not giving correct notice could be that you don't have to move out, but that also depends on whether you want the pressure of a fight.

Court is not fun, so if you know he wants you to leave then it might be wise to look around for what's on the market at the moment and see if you can come to an arrangement with your landlord for something that suits you both. It may be that he would like to have vacant possession, in which case you could possibly get something from him for vacating early, or even as compensation for you letting potential buyers view the place. Or maybe you find a place that you like and want him to let you off the rest of the rent for the period of the tenancy, which might suit him as well as you.

There have been quite a few posts recently about landlords selling with tenants in place, have a browse and see if there's anything in other posts that might give you some relevant information.