PDA

View Full Version : Allowing former tenant into property to collect possessions

Grange
20-02-2008, 08:19 AM
L has obtained a possession order as RA77 T has abandoned property. Vacant possession has therefore been obtained - without it court would not have granted possession order. A catch 22 situation.

T does however have limited number of possessions remaining in property - T was not expecting to be evicted.

Following expiry of possession order L is writing to T asking T to remove possessions. Would it be a very bad idea to allow T back into property? Should possessions be moved outside property by L?

Bel
20-02-2008, 08:51 AM
I'm not an expert, but it probably depends on the disposition of the tenant. If it were me i would probably not want tenant inside but as long as eviction is legal it shouldn't be a problem.

Your evicition case sounds interesting though, wouldn't mind more info on how that came about.

Grange
20-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I'll post the full eviction story in due course...

T is unlikely to be friendly unless has had major makeover. I have visions of T entering property and refusing to leave - at which point we would presumably have to go back to court to get baliffs (despite already having achieved vacant possession, but subsequently lost it). T never intended to give up RA77 tenancy.

jeffrey
20-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Following expiry of possession order L is writing to T asking T to remove possessions. Would it be a very bad idea to allow T back into property? Should possessions be moved outside property by L?
Better for L to move T's possessions to another nearby location and tell T where/when they can be collected.

Grange
20-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks, Jeffrey.

Esio Trot
20-02-2008, 13:35 PM
Alternatively, state that possessions may only be removed by a bone-fide removal contractor.

Ericthelobster
20-02-2008, 14:18 PM
T is unlikely to be friendly unless has had major makeover. I have visions of T entering property and refusing to leaveWell I think you've just answered your own question, haven't you?

davidjohnbutton
20-02-2008, 17:40 PM
Advise tenant that she may not enter the property - full stop. Her possessions can be collected by either a professional removal company or by a friend or relative whereby you will remain in possession of the premises the whole time.

Alternatively, move the stuff into a garage or some other location, but be aware of claims of breakages/criminal damage or loss/theft accusations.

On the one occasion I have had a property seemingly abandoned with goods remaining, I removed to my home some 70 miles away and stored them there because there had been a forced entry attempt to the house where they were. When the person who owned the goods popped up (who was not my tenant, but the boyfriend who had apparently been given permission by her to store his disco stuff in my house!!!!!), I required removal by a removal firm after payment of my costs - I understand later on that because the removal firm were not paid on delivery, they then exercised a lien on the same goods!!!!!!!!!