PDA

View Full Version : Tenant caused boiler problem

mcvelia
17-02-2008, 21:51 PM
HI,

My tennant recently took it upon themself to take radiators off the wall in order to paint behind them. They had permission to decorate but no mention of moving rads. As a result of this it has caused the heating to pack up due to the rads not being bled properly when put back on. As they dont really know what they are doing a plumber is coming out to rectirfy. Are they liable to pay the bill?

Thanks

johnboy
18-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I would charge the tenant but make sure (if you can) the plumber puts on the invoice what caused the problem in the first place, the tenant then
cant argue it.

If the boiler was working before the rads were taken off how can it be your fault??

pcwilkins
18-02-2008, 09:46 AM
My tennant recently took it upon themself to take radiators off the wall in order to paint behind them. They had permission to decorate but no mention of moving rads.

Permission to decorate might have been interpreted by T as permission to move rads.

As a result of this it has caused the heating to pack up due to the rads not being bled properly when put back on.

Can it be proved that heating packed up because T removed rads?

As they dont really know what they are doing a plumber is coming out to rectirfy.

Was plumber requested by you, or T?

Are they liable to pay the bill?

I'm not sure.

I would charge the tenant but make sure (if you can) the plumber puts on the invoice what caused the problem in the first place, the tenant then cant argue it.

Of course they can. Just because plumber says that he thinks T caused the problem, doesn't mean that T can't argue that he didn't!

If the boiler was working before the rads were taken off how can it be your fault??

It's not a question of "fault". I wonder how LL will be able to prove to a court (if it comes to that) that heating problems were definitely the result of T's actions. What if T argues that problems pre-existed removal of rads?

Peter

Grange
18-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Make sure that the plumber tests the level of inhibitor in the system and that the T is charged for its replacement.

jodymay
18-02-2008, 10:39 AM
How can taking a radiator off cause the boiler to break down? Even if the whole system is drained off this can sometimes cause an air lock, but is soon rectified. Can't see how turning a few valves on the radiator would affect the boiler, as the whole system isnt drained, and then its rare to affect the boiler. Usually the whole system is only drained off if the valves need replacing etc. The only thing that happens usually when radiators need bleeding is you get a cold radiator.

Colincbayley
18-02-2008, 10:43 AM
How can taking a radiator off cause the boiler to break down? Even if the whole system is drained off this can sometimes cause an air lock, but is soon rectified. Can't see how turning a few valves on the radiator would affect the boiler, as the whole system isnt drained, and then its rare to affect the boiler. Usually the whole system is only drained off if the valves need replacing etc. The only thing that happens usually when radiators need bleeding is you get a cold radiator.

The OP has not said what the problem with the boiler is. It may well be just as simple as the heat overide button needs re-setting.

jodymay
18-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Your right, sorry. The OP didnt state what the problem was. He just said the boiler had packed up because the rads had not been bled properly when put back on. Dont think OP should necessary jump to assumptions that this is tenants fault. As from own experience of taking radiators off, this has never caused the boiler to pack up. I have had to fiddle about with bleeding them for a bit, but this was never a problem.