PDA

View Full Version : tenant references

fallenlord
13-02-2008, 15:19 PM
An applicant for a property has been declined. They have requested copies of the references we obtained (so I would consider this to be private mail) including a copy of their credit check.

Am I obliged to give them to them? Thanks for any help!

Colincbayley
13-02-2008, 15:22 PM
I would say not.
But is there any harm in letting them have copies?

fallenlord
13-02-2008, 15:31 PM
I would say not.
But is there any harm in letting them have copies?

Its because of the content of the references that they have been declined. I dont want to hand over the letters/credit check only to have the referees calling me complaining that Ive put them in it!

In my mind, its private mail, but I didnt know whether by refusing to release the references Im in breach of freedom of information/human rights act!!

pcwilkins
13-02-2008, 15:59 PM
Its because of the content of the references that they have been declined. I dont want to hand over the letters/credit check only to have the referees calling me complaining that Ive put them in it!

In my mind, its private mail, but I didnt know whether by refusing to release the references Im in breach of freedom of information/human rights act!!

References are usually meant to be confidential, I think. You could ask the referees if they'd mind you passing their comments to the tenant, but if they say no I suspect you can't be forced to by T.

Peter

Bel
14-02-2008, 11:00 AM
You must protect the referees confidentiallity. Only release if you are ordered by judge to do so.

You could shred all evidence, then you are not under any data-protection thingy as it is only relevant to stored data you hold.

You may have to tell them who you got the check done by and they will have to approach them; usually you are not allowed to show them results and they must approach credit agency direct?

islandgirl
14-02-2008, 12:21 PM
I would happily give them a copy of their formal credit check (why wouldn't you? Usually they have paid for it!) but would not pass on letters of reference written by individuals. Just the way I work!