PDA

View Full Version : Landlord defrauding Council; can I leave tenancy? How?

Reala
08-02-2008, 21:50 PM
Hi there,

Firstly, I'm not a bad person, I've never considered anything like this before and I'm really just looking for advice for an idea I have and hope you guys can help me with...

Basically when I first moved in my landlord told me if I wanted to move out before the 6 months was up, I could, he said the 6 months stated in the contract was standard and he'd have no problem with me leaving early. This was on December 20th.

So, I got a job in Essex, I told him this on January 21st and told him I would be moving out in a month... (March 1st) He flipped and said he would make me pay the whole 6 months if I even thought about moving out early.

Two big issues:
1. He constantly comes in when I am out with about 4/5 hours notice, he'll text and say 'gotta come round and check such and such' even though in the contract it says he must give 24 hours notice.
2. He had a renovation excemption on council tax and didn't tell the council I had moved in until February 1st, so obviously he got away with 6 weeks council tax...

Now he wants to put the council tax in my name as of March 1st as well as all the gas and electric and water. I put a £600.00 deposit on the place and £440 a month I pay upfront. I've payed this months rent and therefore he has £600.00 to pay council tax, electric, gas and water (£300 max!).

If I just disapear, what are the chances of reprocussions and if he takes me to court and I stay the intrusion, the council tax dodge (I don't want to be a part of that) and the verbal agreement he ignored.

Thanks in advance for any advice given!!

I

Colincbayley
09-02-2008, 08:05 AM
Is there a break clause witin your AST?
What does your contract say about who will pay council tax,gas etc.

If it says nothing, then you will be liable for the rent for the full term of the contract and the bills.

If you just disappear, then your LL would well be within his rights to sue you.

With regards to the LL entering the property at very short notice, send him a letter stating that he is breaching his own contract, change the locks if you wish ( make sure you change them back when you leave )

bagpuss
10-02-2008, 20:00 PM
Hi there,

Firstly, I'm not a bad person, I've never considered anything like this before and I'm really just looking for advice for an idea I have and hope you guys can help me with...

Basically when I first moved in my landlord told me if I wanted to move out before the 6 months was up, I could, he said the 6 months stated in the contract was standard and he'd have no problem with me leaving early. This was on December 20th.

So, I got a job in Essex, I told him this on January 21st and told him I would be moving out in a month... (March 1st) He flipped and said he would make me pay the whole 6 months if I even thought about moving out early.

Two big issues:
1. He constantly comes in when I am out with about 4/5 hours notice, he'll text and say 'gotta come round and check such and such' even though in the contract it says he must give 24 hours notice.
2. He had a renovation excemption on council tax and didn't tell the council I had moved in until February 1st, so obviously he got away with 6 weeks council tax...

Now he wants to put the council tax in my name as of March 1st as well as all the gas and electric and water. I put a £600.00 deposit on the place and £440 a month I pay upfront. I've payed this months rent and therefore he has £600.00 to pay council tax, electric, gas and water (£300 max!).

If I just disapear, what are the chances of reprocussions and if he takes me to court and I stay the intrusion, the council tax dodge (I don't want to be a part of that) and the verbal agreement he ignored.

Thanks in advance for any advice given!!

I
I agree with everything said so far plus there are a couple of other points to consider:

Your £600 deposit should have put in an official deposit scheme within two weeks of him receiving it. There are 3 of them and he should have told you which one he put your deposit in. If he hasn't done this, it is illegal and you can claim 3X the amount back from him (£1800). If he has put it in an official scheme, then he can't use it for anything other than claiming some of it to cover rent arrears/damages.

I wouldn't get involved in any 'dodges' he suggests. Write and tell him so.

Reala
22-02-2008, 14:42 PM
lol, I am in your dept. My landlord did nothing with my deposit and therefore when I mentioned he would have to pay me back 3x the ammount we called it quits and I move out Saturday!!! Thanks so much guys! ;)