PDA

View Full Version : Moved out without paying rent

Mitz
08-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Hi all,

Just joined. My house was rented through an agent. The tenants moved in May 2006 and stopped paying rent in Oct 2006. They were served with S21 in December 2006 and returned the keys last weekend.

Meaning the moved out owing a little over 3 months rent. Sadly not only did they leave owing rent. Additionally they, removed light fittings, carpets, white goods, fitted cupboards, garden plants, chopped down a tree and painted (badly) some rooms and broke a window.

Bizarrely they have moved about 10 doors away on the same road!! using another agent.

I'm considering using a solicitor to try and recover the rent and movey for repairs but don't want to lose more money. Do I have any other options to recover my money and has anyone been successful doing it?

Mitz

Colincbayley
08-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm guessing you mean 2007 and not 2006.
Your best bet if you have a case is to just make a claim via the small claims court.

pcwilkins
08-02-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm considering using a solicitor to try and recover the rent and movey for repairs but don't want to lose more money. Do I have any other options to recover my money and has anyone been successful doing it?

You don't really need a solicitor --- just submit the claim yourself using form N1. Whether it's worth it depends on how likely it is that T will be able to pay. If they don't and you have evidence of what they owe, they will at least get a CCJ against them.

Peter

Mitz
08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Whoops I did mean 2007, thx.

"form N1"? Can you point me in the right direction?

Not sure if the will pay, I don't know a great deal about them except what the neighbours have told me.

But I have it on good authority they have the money. I'm told they have a sizeable sum in an ISA to use as a deposit to buy the house they now rent.

Colincbayley
08-02-2008, 10:11 AM
All you need to know for a small claims action is here.
www.moneyclaimonline.gov.uk

Mitz
08-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks Colin