PDA

View Full Version : blocked drains: who should pay

pete's properties
08-02-2008, 08:06 AM
My agent has sent my tenant a bill to unblock a drain as the plumber said it was caused by them putting food down it.

This sounds reasonable but I am just a bit concerned because they are good tenants, and they are not well off, and I want to keep good relationships between me, the tenants and the agents.

So do you think I should:

a. accept the tenant is wrong and let them pay up
b. offer to pay some of the cost as a gesture of goodwill?

:confused:

pcwilkins
08-02-2008, 08:10 AM
What does T think about it --- do they accept responsibility?

How long have they been in the property --- can you be sure it's their food that was the problem or could it have been developing when they moved in?

Our contract says that if it can be proved that T caused the blockage, then T will pay 100% of costs; if it can be proved that T didn't cause the blockage, then LL will pay 100% of costs; and it neither can be proved, the cost is split 50/50.

Peter

Colincbayley
08-02-2008, 08:24 AM
My agent has sent my tenant a bill to unblock a drain as the plumber said it was caused by them putting food down it.

This sounds reasonable but I am just a bit concerned because they are good tenants, and they are not well off, and I want to keep good relationships between me, the tenants and the agents.

So do you think I should:

a. accept the tenant is wrong and let them pay up
b. offer to pay some of the cost as a gesture of goodwill?

:confused:

If it is clear that the tenany has caused the proplem, then the cost will be down to them. You just need to make a commericial decission on who pays the bill and why.

Paul_f
08-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Either the landlord or the tenant accepts liability - you can't have a 50/50 solution as it has no basis.

pete's properties
09-02-2008, 08:10 AM
What does T think about it --- do they accept responsibility?

How long have they been in the property --- can you be sure it's their food that was the problem or could it have been developing when they moved in?

Our contract says that if it can be proved that T caused the blockage, then T will pay 100% of costs; if it can be proved that T didn't cause the blockage, then LL will pay 100% of costs; and it neither can be proved, the cost is split 50/50.

Peter

Thanks pc wilkins

I'll see if I can find out more about it then decide whether to offer something

:)

pete's properties
09-02-2008, 08:20 AM
thanks Paul and Colin

I will chase this up and find out more info

johnboy
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I take the view if the drains are blocked in the house but the pipe work isnt faulty it is the tenants fault.

Last week a tenant phoned up to say the sink wouldnt unblock and they had put loads of off the shelf products down it without it getting better. They were sure there was a fault with the pipe work and the landlords responsability and he must pay. I send one of my maintenance chaps round, he came back not very happy the sink trap was filled with vomit. Nice

So he charged them £40 for unblocking it.

pete's properties
09-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Well I've now paid it this time and let the tenant know.

The agent will tell them this is a one-off and normally they would pay.

:o

jackboy
09-02-2008, 22:56 PM
I unblocked a tenants drain and it was filled with flash wipes but she denied using them. Her house is on a 4 house drain but she is at the top and it all flows away from her. 2 months later they were blocked again. I went round again and must have pulled hundreds of flash wipes out all stuck together in a horrible slimey mess. Again she denied it and said it must have backed up from further down as next doors was also blocked. When i'd finished i made her come out to look that the drains were perfectly clear and again reinforced flash wipes shld not be put down drain. If it happens again then i'll ask her to pay. My agent said Thames water will unblock a drain for a maximum charge of £69, but i cld find no record of this on their website. Anybody familar with this?

Also if you're not cleaning them out yourself then just ask teh drain guy what caused it and therefore liability is established

pete's properties
12-02-2008, 07:15 AM

Also if you're not cleaning them out yourself then just ask teh drain guy what caused it and therefore liability is established

Yes, our plumber told us it was food down the pipe that the tenant must have been putting down.

As the drains are now clear, we can easily prove any further blockage is their fault.

But hopefully now they know they are liable, they wouldn't dare block 'em again!