PDA

View Full Version : Inherited a tenanted house- EHO problems

bame
06-02-2008, 23:34 PM
Hello,
I have inherited a house in poor repair with a secure tenant. The tenant has got the local Environmental Health Officer involved. I am willing to do repairs but they are impossible with the tenant in situ. She has so far refused to move out whilst they are done. I am being harrassed by the EHO who is starting to ask what I think may be leading questions. Can anyone please help me by telling me where I can find out what my legal rights and obligations are in regard to this class of tenancy. I feel sure the EHO is trying to intimidate me. A simply spelt out source would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.

WizWard
07-02-2008, 18:02 PM
Why not give the tenant's name and contact details to the EHO stazi? Then they can sort it out with each other. Just a thought.

jeffrey
08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello,
I have inherited a house in poor repair with a secure tenant. The tenant has got the local Environmental Health Officer involved. I am willing to do repairs but they are impossible with the tenant in situ. She has so far refused to move out whilst they are done. I am being harrassed by the EHO who is starting to ask what I think may be leading questions. Can anyone please help me by telling me where I can find out what my legal rights and obligations are in regard to this class of tenancy. I feel sure the EHO is trying to intimidate me. A simply spelt out source would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks.
Are the repairs required so as to comply with your obligations as L, under:
a. section 11 of LTA 1985;
b. Tenancy Agreement; or
c. EHO's demands?

And who is insisting on them? Is it:
a. T;
b. EHO; or
c. you?

Esio Trot
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Some members of our local authorities EHO department are good at getting landlords to jump through multiple hoops, many of which are unnecessary. They also do a lot of this verbally.

I would seriously suggest that you refrain from any oral contact with the EHO, asking that in view of the importance of this matter, and as this is a new area for you, that s/he communicates with you in writing from now on.

This way, you can post verbatim the guts of what is being asked for, and no doubt some of the very knowledgeable posters on here can give you specific help.

This area is not simple, and you might shoot yourself in the foot if trying to answer questions verbally and on the hoof, so to speak. At least you need time to think about what is behind the questions being asked.

johnboy
08-02-2008, 12:56 PM
I supose you could just give the tenant notice and then do the repairs unless they have a protected tenancy

rajeshk4u
08-02-2008, 16:41 PM
When you say 'secure' tenant - do you mean one on a 'regulated' tenancy?
If so you can't kick them out.

As for Environment Health, tell then you need everything in writting....

Grange
12-02-2008, 10:39 AM
In my experience of Westminster, if T won't give you access, then EHO is unlikely to take the case any further.